Rescuing a ginger beer

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Postby MrDave » Thursday Oct 12, 2006 2:02 pm

What's the best way of rescuing a sucky Ginger Beer?

I've got one in the fermenter that is pretty thin and watery despite following the instructions on the kit.

I was contemplating investing in a bottle of Stones Green Ginger wine to bang it up a notch. I've done the maths and it looks like it'll only bump the alcohol volume up about half of one percent, but I'm hoping it give it a flavour kick too.
Useful crutch, or a fatal mistake ?
"Ask most people to name a Mexican beer and they'll name Corona. Coincidentally, if you ask most people to name a bodily fluid, they'll name urine."
- John Carroll explaining why Dos Equis > Corona.
MrDave

Postby Beau » Thursday Oct 12, 2006 2:22 pm

Which kit was it? Some ginger beer kits, Beermakers in particular, look very weak and dilute at brewing but will darken and come up much better looking after fermentation.
Beau

Postby MrDave » Thursday Oct 12, 2006 3:22 pm

Beau wrote:Which kit was it? Some ginger beer kits, Beermakers in particular, look very weak and dilute at brewing but will darken and come up much better looking after fermentation.

This one. Its a TWOC kit. Local mob.
Seems to have only attenuated to 1009 or so from 1021. Temps have been around the 18 degree mark.
Do you think I should bottle it and just let it do its thing, or does it need a push?
Was also contemplating splitting the difference by racking 10L of it into my 15L fermenter and banging the Stones into there and bottling the rest of it without.
"Ask most people to name a Mexican beer and they'll name Corona. Coincidentally, if you ask most people to name a bodily fluid, they'll name urine."
- John Carroll explaining why Dos Equis > Corona.
MrDave

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .