GB query - cream of tartar?

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

GB query - cream of tartar?

Postby DL » Wednesday Dec 06, 2006 8:32 pm

Hi all,

I was thinking of putting down a ginger beer and already have what appears to be a good recipe from a Liquorcraft link posted elsewhere on this site. But I've been Googling GB recipes as well and it seems like a lot of them call for about 1stp of cream of tartar (not in the Liquorcraft recipe). Does anyone know what this does and whether it is necessary?

Thanks
DL
DL

Postby geoffclifton » Wednesday Dec 06, 2006 9:44 pm

Cream of Tarter / Tartaric Acid are supposedly same thing or similar. I used TA in the GB I just put down 'coz it said so'. The only info I saw said it was used for acid balance but that becomes academic unless you know the pH of the fruit must. My GB is 4 days down and just showing positive pressure on the airlock. Wort tasted really gingery and tany. Lots of undissolved or re crystallized sugar. I'm just going to leave it under the house and bottle at 2 weeks regardless. It's gotta be better than the sacharrine sweet Coopers that I did first time.

Cheers, Geoff.
geoffclifton

Postby 111222333 » Thursday Dec 07, 2006 6:33 pm

Cream of Tartar and Tartaric acid differ in their acid/base properties. If the must is v. low pH use cream of tartar, and if pH is high use tartaric acid. If in doubt leave it out, but if it is commonly included in recipies, that would suggest that the must is generally lower, and most brewers find improved results with it included. (I think ginger would lower the pH as the bite (like lemon) is commonly associated with lower pH).
Keep it reel Image

Postby DL » Friday Dec 08, 2006 8:40 am

thanks for the replies. i might try the first batch without it and see how it goes.
DL

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .