Little worried

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Little worried

Postby Lonedawg » Friday Dec 15, 2006 6:50 pm

Ok first time brewing, I hate beer so decided for a ginger beer and being a newb to it used a Brigalow kit.

Added 2kg's of sugar O_O fermentaded great, bubbling away heaps. I forgot to grab a erm reading when i put it in but after 12 days i had 2 days readings of .95-1.0fg<?>

I bottled it up as things has stopped bubbling thru the airlock, added some fresh ginger to each bottle mainly because.. and reason im asking all this..

When I tasted it going into the bottles it has a very errr "beer" tang to it, just wondering if the taste will mellow out after a few weeks? Must admit during ferm the mix got to around 28/29 deg .. damn 40+ temps ;;

Is all lost or should i just sit it out and wait?

Next batch will def be a recipe from here, unfort found forums after i had made ;;
Lonedawg

Postby tonyp » Sunday Dec 17, 2006 8:15 pm

I would not worry about it and taste in a month or even greater. I try not to taste them straight out of the barrel as it makes me nervous. :).

IMHO The only reason i think why you could get beer taste is if you did not wash the barrel out correctly.
tonyp

Postby Pale_Ale » Sunday Dec 17, 2006 8:33 pm

Well it is ginger beer, it's bound to have a beer taste :D

Lower temperature will give you a cleaner taste, you might be tasting the fruity taste when yeast ferments at higher temperatures.

All is not lost - you haven't even tasted it carbonated yet, so give it a go then.
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .