mixing two yeast strains?

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

mixing two yeast strains?

Postby jase » Thursday Jan 11, 2007 1:53 am

Is there any danger in using two yeast types? Im putting 2kg of raw sugar & 250 gm honey in a tin of brigalow & was wondering if their kit yeast would work o.k.with a champagne yeast. will one sachet eat through 2kg of sugar? or should I just use 2 of the same strain.
jase

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Jan 11, 2007 8:36 am

The champagne yeast will have no problem chewing its way thru that sugar content. Depends if you want a very dry cider (or is it a GB) or one thats slightly sweet? The champagne yeast will ferment almost 100% of the sugar whereas an ale yeast will not. Not sure what the honey will do flavour wise after all the sugar is gone....
drsmurto

Postby geoffclifton » Thursday Jan 11, 2007 8:48 am

Hey Doc.

What would be the result of a beer brew, er coopers draught, done with champagne yeas? Just wierd beer or an extra dry?

Cheers, Geoff.
geoffclifton

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Jan 11, 2007 9:04 am

Geoff

Never tried brewing beer with anything other than a 'beer' yeast (technical term...). Interesting thought that. I am guessing with a lager it would turn out quite dry, maybe even like TED, but with an ale that would be a bit weird since you tend to want the malty-ness coming through. Not sure about the flavours that a champagne yeast produces since i only use it in a GB and the strong ginger/lemon flavour would overpower anything a yeast could produce.

I guess the key thing to take in is that a champagne yeast has almost 100% attenuation which i dont believe ale or lager yeasts get anywhere near that, more like 80% or lower.

Thats my misinformed opinion :D

Cheers
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .