GB when to bottle

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

GB when to bottle

Postby exorstd » Saturday Feb 17, 2007 1:59 pm

Hi people
I have been brewing kit beers for quite some time but I am on my first ginger beer kit, thought I would start off easy and work my way up. Anyway, my first brew has been in the fermenter for 6 days and has a gravity reading of 1001 (I didn't take a starting reading) but it is still bubbling away in the fermenter. Should I wait until it stops fermenting or should I continue to take readings and bottle when I get 2 readings the same over 2 days. With my beers, lagers, stouts, etc I generally leave for 2 weeks before bottling and they turn out beautifully.
TIA, exorstd
exorstd

Postby DavidP » Saturday Feb 17, 2007 4:17 pm

I'm a newbie...and all I've brewed is ginger beer and cider!
my first ginger beer took around 6 days and that was a kit and a kilo.
and it never really stopped bubbling! it just slowed down...I guess there is left over c02 that makes its way out even though it's stopped fermenting.
was it a kit and a kilo you used? did you use the kit yeast or champagn yeast or something similar?
at 1001 I'd say it's probably finishing fermenting...but I'd take another reading and make sure it's going to stay at 1001.
DavidP

Postby Chris » Monday Feb 19, 2007 1:24 pm

Yeah, get two identical readings.

Without knowing your fermentables, yeast etc, that's all I can tell you.

Once you've gotten that, bottle away.
Chris

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .