Cider Stuff-up

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Cider Stuff-up

Postby Jeff » Sunday Mar 06, 2005 8:17 am

Finally threw out the cider I made from a Brigelow kit + apples + lactose + brewing sugar. As posted earlier it looked and smelled good but had a strong after-taste not unlike some cough syrups, but reminded me more of burnt urine.

I noticed on another thread that Dogger Dan (I think) talked about the need to avoid oxidising the wort in hot weather. Can anyone tell me how this would affect the brew? Could this have been the problem as we did have some hot days and I also moved the fermenter around a bit during that time.
Ta for any help
Life is too short to drink crap
Jeff

Postby Dogger Dan » Sunday Mar 06, 2005 11:28 am

Of all the taste profiles....Burnt Urine :shock: ?

Ok,

The oxidation occurs when the wort is hot, like 60 deg C plus.

It might be the fermentation if it was hot out (30 plus) and the yeast blew a gasket.

But really, I can't nail it on the description of burnt urine, not something I have ever tried. :lol:

Not sure I want to either :wink:

Note, I have had a few beers tonight, let me think on it when I am almost sober

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Franky » Tuesday Mar 08, 2005 4:00 am

I brewed a similar brew (except I had corn sugar instead of lactose) and it was beautiful. I did boil all the ingredients after dogger scared me into it with his e-coli stories...

Did you boil the apples? It may have been an off taste from something in the apples?

Just a thought...
Franky

Postby Franky » Tuesday Mar 08, 2005 4:01 am

oh and I also brewed durin quite warm weather. I left it for about 4 weeks because I forgot about it and it was fine and dandy.

The ladies loved it...
Franky

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .