What do people think of this cider recipe?

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

What do people think of this cider recipe?

Postby dragonphoenix73 » Friday Mar 16, 2007 7:53 am

I've have been busily reading posts on cider recipes for some time now, and I have come up with a possible go-er for my next batch.

The goal is to make a scrummy sweet cider that my partner, other girls, boys and gluten-free folk can have (yes, alas no malt, otherwise.....).

Its a variation on Olivers NO.35 BR Cider...

1 can BR cider
200gm Lactose
1kg Glucose/Dextrose
6 apples (of a sweet, scrummy, organic variety)
A couple of cinnamon sticks
Kit yeast

I thought I would up the Lactose and apple content to boost sweetness. The cinnamon is just a hint, and put in the stocking with the apples - the idea is to give it that hint of pungent warmness that cinnamon always gives (we use it cooking alongside salt and pepper, and in those minute amounts actually helps with aroma but not taste!)

I have also toyed with the idea of adding some honey for flavour - but just not sure how that will affect the chemistry...

So what do y'all think of that = I am open for criticisms and suggestions....
dragonphoenix73

Postby Pale_Ale » Friday Mar 16, 2007 8:09 am

I'd use granny smith, more predictable sweetness (therefore more predictable alcohol levels), better flavour for cider I reckon.

The only thing that will remain from the apples is the apple flavour, not any of the sweetness.

I would however consider subbing 500g dex with 500g light dry malt.
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby rwh » Friday Mar 16, 2007 10:11 am

He can't sub the dex with LDM because of the gluten intolerants.

As for the honey, it almost completely ferments, leaving just a hint of the more complex flavours. I reckon it could be good if you sub 250g dex with 250g of Yellow Box honey. But you already have a pretty complex array of flavours; the honey might be overkill.
w00t!
rwh

Postby Pale_Ale » Friday Mar 16, 2007 11:36 am

rwh wrote:He can't sub the dex with LDM because of the gluten intolerants.

Ah, I didn't read properly!

:oops:
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby vitalogy » Friday Mar 16, 2007 12:52 pm

The recipe sounds nice. Cinnamon should add an interesting twist.

I made this a few months back and I reckon it's superb.

1.7kg Black Rock Cider kit
9L Juice (6L Apple, 3L Apple & Pear)
200g Lactose (approx)
Kit yeast
23L

I'd be interested what the difference between using actual apples vs juice makes. The pear juice in this recipe was certainly noticeable, and I reckon added some sweetness on it's own.

Next time I do a cider I'm definitely going to use some sort of yeast nutrient, because both times I've done a Black Rock kit it's taken a good three weeks to ferment out at 20 deg.
vitalogy

Postby dragonphoenix73 » Friday Mar 16, 2007 8:01 pm

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I'll leave the honey out this time. But its nice to know that a 1:1 replacement ratio is what I need with honey. I might try it in the next batch of beer...

And thats good to know about the apples too. I was told that there is a heritage variety of apples called "cidering apples", so I was curious to find more about them. Petty's Orchard has them - they are certified organic and grow many of the heritage varieties of fruits. But I don't know how they taste or what - maybe they are kinda like Granny Smiths...? I imagine there is something about them that makes them better for fermenting, not eating.

I really wanna do a cider with malt, coz I liked the sound of it (and I can actually imagine the taste now..... :D ) - but there will be plenty of sober coeliacs on the night if I don't cater for them.... and there's only one thing worse than a coeliac at a party: a sober one! :lol:
dragonphoenix73

Postby blandy » Saturday Mar 17, 2007 9:46 am

Just watch the alcohol with the glucose AND the apples.

My recipe with quinces was 5.2% without any dextrose. If you want a big cider go for it, though.
I left my fermenter in my other pants
blandy

Postby dragonphoenix73 » Sunday Mar 25, 2007 10:34 pm

Hi guys,

Just an update on this little beauty.....

I went ahead with the recipe. For the record, I stayed with the 6 apples and 3 cinnamon sticks in the stocking.

Its been bubbling away like mad all week (its been 8 days now). A lot of froth on the surface, but nothing exploding out of the airlock like I've read on other posts (and I was prepared for such an eventuality!).

I seem to have misplaced what I did with my recording of the OG - but I'm dead certain it was either 1.046 or 1.048.

Anyhow, tonight I did a reading: 1.012 (maybe 11, its such a light colour its hard to see the top of the meniscus...).

There is still formed apples in the stockings (the half sticking out of from the surface anyhow). Still a bit of surface froth.

ts not what I would call a clear liquid, but its not sedimenty like the last couple of beers I've done.

Had a taste - mmmm-mmmmmmm..... not too sweet, but certainly not dry. And if you hold it in your mouth, you can taste the cinnamon (my grandmother had a try, and she reckoned you could smell the cinnamon, but I couldn't). The better half loves it!

I actually think its gonna keep bubbling away for the rest of the week. I'm not going to even bother taking another reading until next weekend.

Should all the apple disintegrate before its ready? What have others found who have done thrown in apples into the mix?

Will racking help if there is minimal sediment? I can't imagine so.....

Cheers!!!
dragonphoenix73

Postby DavidP » Sunday Mar 25, 2007 11:42 pm

I had my apples in the fermenter for a month and the apples held together very well! no signs of coming apart...BUT they were spongy and smelt Very alcoholic!
DavidP

Postby dragonphoenix73 » Monday Mar 26, 2007 11:01 am

So it would be right to assume that this little baby could be another 2-4 weeks before bottling?
dragonphoenix73

Postby DavidP » Monday Mar 26, 2007 5:19 pm

could be? I didn't use the kit yeast though! I used oztops 1 and kept it at 22 c the whole time.
I don't know about the kit yeast but I'd say 3 to 4 weeks would be near normal.
DavidP

Postby dragonphoenix73 » Monday Mar 26, 2007 8:33 pm

Thanks for that....

Could I rack it into a different vessel (such as a demijohn or a 25L plastic jerry) to free up my fermenters?

I'm putting a mead on this week, and hope to put another beer on by the weekend.... plus partner wants ginger beer now too.... there's the possible downside to partners getting into home-brewing.... the expectations.....
:lol:

Any suggestions about racking? Any previous threads I can read about this.

The racking I did with my amber ale seemed pointless, other than to clear the sediment. There was no further fermenting action. Should I add more yeast to a racked cider perhaps?
dragonphoenix73

Postby dragonphoenix73 » Friday Mar 30, 2007 9:57 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to rack this cider in the next day or so, and I need some help and assistance....

Its gone down to 1.003, and there is a little less condensation on the lid, and bubbling has slowed somewhat; also not as much 'froth' on the top.
Had a taste - has a sourness to it.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do once racked to push along some further fermentation, and boost the sweetness.

Anyone....?

If I rack, don't all the fermentables get left behind in the must? The reason I am racking is to clear it up a bit, coz its a little murky. I'll be leaving behind the apples and cinnamon too...
dragonphoenix73

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .