Rescuing a dry cider

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Rescuing a dry cider

Postby Tony » Tuesday Mar 22, 2005 8:40 am

Hi all,

Got brew #2 underway at the moment, a Black Rock cider made up with 200g of sugar, with the intent of making it v low alchol (ie something for other people to drink).

It's been in the fermenter since Sat arvo, frothing away nicely. Then I read here and elsewhere about this being a very dry cider, and to add 150g lactose to sweeten it

Given that it's probably finished primary fermentation (haven't measured SG yet), is there anything I can do at this point to sweeten it. I don't have a second fermenter that I could rack it off for secondary fermentation. Or do I just enjoy a dry cider and make the next one up with lactose?

Thanks,

Tony
Tony

Postby Jeff » Tuesday Mar 22, 2005 10:33 am

Just a guess - try adding the lactose now. Lactose doesn't ferment so theoretically should not make any difference when it is added. Because this sounds logical does not mean it will work.....
Life is too short to drink crap
Jeff

Postby Dogger Dan » Tuesday Mar 22, 2005 12:10 pm

Add it now, it will work out fine.

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Oliver » Tuesday Mar 22, 2005 12:11 pm

Yeah, add it now. Even if it's partly fermentable there will still be some yeast in the brew to ferment it.

Dissolve it in a little boiling water (lactose is a bugger to dissolve), let it cool then add to the fermenter. I wouldn't even bother stirring.

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Tony » Tuesday Mar 22, 2005 1:24 pm

Ok - thanks guys

Reading the previous posting about this issue (Adding stuff mid-fermentation - unexpected explosion), I should make this up, let it cool and then add.

Now just a question of whether or not I can get to the shop before the SG plateaus

Thanks muchly.
Tony

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .