sulphur smell

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

sulphur smell

Postby dragonphoenix73 » Sunday May 13, 2007 11:24 am

I know I've read something about this somewhere...

My partner opened the first bottle of the Ginger beer last night. She loved it. The carbonation has come through good, and it has thickened up somewhat during this process. She says it tastes like real ginger beer.

Only thing is, there is a distinct sulphur smell to it. Like rotten egg gas. It definitely did not have this smell while fermenting and bottling, so it has developed it since.

Bottles were very clean - I used VB stubbies i picked up from mum's cafe, and had to clean and rinse well, before I even started sanitising to get ciggy buts, encrusted VB residue, and labels. Then sanitised (soaked and scrubbed.... yep, all 60 of the damn things!!! :x ) just before bottling.

Any thoughts, suggestions, commiserations....? I think I remember somewhere that the stench does fade with time.... correct?

Other than that, she's very happy with it! (she even doesn't mind the smell, the taste is that good....)
:D
Life is like a box of chocolates.... sometimes you get a hard one!
dragonphoenix73

Postby KEG » Sunday May 13, 2007 10:56 pm

that should disappear... what temperature are they being stored at? indoors with the heating or out in the cold? it'll disappear quicker if they're a little warmer.
KEG

Postby Pale_Ale » Monday May 14, 2007 8:57 am

What yeast did you use ?
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby Chris » Monday May 14, 2007 12:18 pm

Aside from that, racking prior to bottling will help. Just a hint for next time.
Chris

Postby dragonphoenix73 » Monday May 14, 2007 2:14 pm

OK...

1)Currently they are being stored in the 'outdoor room' of our house - it is cold. I will bring them into a part of th house that is a little warmer.

2) I used the yeast that came with it (initially - Westbrew Old fashioned GB). That basically died in the arse within a day, so dry pitched a leftover Muntons Ale yeast. That kicked on for another week or so. Nutrient came with the kit too.

3) Couldn't be bothered racking, and thought I'd keep it 'dirty' to add to body, as it was very thin and watery back then. It has improved - but I am definitely a fan of racking, regardless of the drink! Next time....
Life is like a box of chocolates.... sometimes you get a hard one!
dragonphoenix73

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .