Floaties around top of GB bottles

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Floaties around top of GB bottles

Postby poges » Sunday Jul 01, 2007 3:14 pm

Did a Coopers GB brew (non alco) about 3 weeks ago with some boiled freshly squeezed and strained lemon juice / ginger / cinnamon. Every bottle (soft drink clear PET) has a number of beige floaties around the ring or some that have dried just above the water line.

Is this yeast or crud from the boil? Anyone had a similar problem? If it is yeast would I be best off doing the next batch with a better quality yeast?
poges

Postby rwh » Sunday Jul 01, 2007 6:04 pm

The floaties that I have in mine are ginger bits, but they're not beige. They're brown and stringy.
w00t!
rwh

Postby DavidP » Monday Jul 02, 2007 2:40 am

I've had that in my ginger beers..I don't think it's yeast..that usually sits on the bottom!
I think it's mainly the rest of the other stuff..ginger/cinamon and all that.
it's all flavour!
DavidP

Postby earle » Monday Jul 02, 2007 1:16 pm

I had stringy floaty things in my last 2 batches of Morgans GB. Taste was off as well. After discussion on this site I think it was infected because the first of these batches leaked through the tap (not screwed all the way in) and had lots of vinegar flies around it. Haven't tried another GB since using better sterilization techniques for the tap.

How does it taste?
earle

Postby rwh » Monday Jul 02, 2007 1:31 pm

Yeah, a stringy growth is usually a sign of acetobacter. As for cleaning taps, I love this technique:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/i ... opic=10484
w00t!
rwh

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .