found and testing CREAMY SODA

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

found and testing CREAMY SODA

Postby gonzo7310 » Monday Jul 23, 2007 3:14 pm

in the making of creamy soda
alcaholic

1/4 cup of suger
1 tablespoon of vianilla EXTRACT
1 pinch of yest
and 100mls of hot to boliing water
400 mls of cold water

this is for 500 mls

if this works i will be testing 23 liters in ferment

SHOULD THIS WORK ??????????????
gonzo7310

Postby Kevnlis » Monday Jul 23, 2007 3:19 pm

Vanilla flavoured mead....but yeah it will work ;)

About 4.5% ABV so it may not taste too bad!
Kevnlis

Postby drsmurto » Monday Jul 23, 2007 5:29 pm

mead is made from honey. At least it was last time i checked.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Postby KEG » Monday Jul 23, 2007 7:58 pm

yes, mead is made from honey.

sugar offers no nutrition for the yeast, so it's unlikely a 23L batch would get done all the way without a stuck ferment.

secondly, it will be dry as anything if it does finish fermenting. sugar is fully fermentable.
KEG

Postby wildschwein » Monday Jul 23, 2007 8:30 pm

This looks really good. I might try this in pet bottles ala Olde Ginger Beer style perhaps with a dash of red food colouring to get me bouncing off the walls.
Prost!!!!!!!!!!!

My Blog: http://www.myspace.com/canaanperry
wildschwein

Postby wildschwein » Tuesday Jul 24, 2007 12:41 am

I was inspired enough to put on a non-alcoholic creaming soda tonight using my ginger beer plant to carbonate it. Just did a 3.75L batch. Went like this:

Added 400g of sugar, 4-5 teaspoons of imatation vanilla essence, 1 broken up stick of cassia bark, 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of citic acid, 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar, and 2 heaped tablespoons of dried dark malt extract to 1.5L of boiling water. Left it to steep for 30 minutes. Then strained out the cassia bark and topped up to 3.6L with cold water. Decanted evenly amongst three 1.25L soft drink bottles and then added some of my GB plant (you could use dried brewer's yeast instead) to each bottle. About 150mls of the plant in total. Capped the bottles straight away to carb up overnight before putting in the fridge tommorrow morning. This plant is now really potent and my last batch of GB was a savage carbonater that needed constant pressure releases even after beeing put in the fridge. This was probably a result of adding 100g of light dried malt extract to the sugar content of the batch. Very bad idea because the yeasts in the plant liked it a bit too much. Looking foward to this creaming soda though. Thanks for the inspiration KEG.
Prost!!!!!!!!!!!

wildschwein

Postby KEG » Tuesday Jul 24, 2007 8:06 am

i didn't think i gave any inspiration, i was the one saying it wouldn't work :lol:

i guess with the "plant" method it could work, but you'd need to stop the fermentation by chilling them pretty shortly after so they didn't lose all the sweetness.

re. your wild ginger beer plant wildschwein, it sounds like it's picked up a wild yeast/microbe of some kind that enjoys the cold hehe.
KEG

Postby gonzo7310 » Tuesday Jul 24, 2007 12:30 pm

so what would you say if i changed the suger to honey insted would that work

and by the way had a taste test about 5 mins ago

was nice and really sweet but tasted a little yesty but still drink able
gonzo7310

Postby gonzo7310 » Tuesday Jul 24, 2007 12:32 pm

wildschwein wrote:I was inspired enough to put on a non-alcoholic creaming soda tonight using my ginger beer plant to carbonate it. Just did a 3.75L batch. Went like this:

Added 400g of sugar, 4-5 teaspoons of imatation vanilla essence, 1 broken up stick of cassia bark, 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of citic acid, 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar, and 2 heaped tablespoons of dried dark malt extract to 1.5L of boiling water. Left it to steep for 30 minutes. Then strained out the cassia bark and topped up to 3.6L with cold water. Decanted evenly amongst three 1.25L soft drink bottles and then added some of my GB plant (you could use dried brewer's yeast instead) to each bottle. About 150mls of the plant in total. Capped the bottles straight away to carb up overnight before putting in the fridge tommorrow morning. This plant is now really potent and my last batch of GB was a savage carbonater that needed constant pressure releases even after beeing put in the fridge. This was probably a result of adding 100g of light dried malt extract to the sugar content of the batch. Very bad idea because the yeasts in the plant liked it a bit too much. Looking foward to this creaming soda though. Thanks for the inspiration KEG.

how did this go did it taste alright but then again to early

just tell me how she went

umm might wanna use vanilla EXTRACT not vanilla essence but tell ,me how the essence go cuz i would rather pay for essence cuz its more cheaper
gonzo7310

Postby wildschwein » Tuesday Jul 24, 2007 1:43 pm

Nah, fake stuff is good for an authentic taste. Cheap too. It tasted good before I bottled it, I'm just waiting for carb up before I drink it. Shouldn't be too long.
Prost!!!!!!!!!!!

wildschwein

Postby gonzo7310 » Tuesday Jul 24, 2007 1:46 pm

You must tell me how it goes lol if it taste nice or bad I just wanna know.. Do u think u wiull try 23 litter batch??
gonzo7310

Postby KEG » Wednesday Jul 25, 2007 9:27 am

don't stress gonzo, i've no doubt wildschwein will keep us updated :)
KEG

Postby wildschwein » Wednesday Jul 25, 2007 11:18 am

Bottles were nice 'n hard this moring so I chucked 'em in the fridge. My girlfriend tasted some yesterday before it gassed and was impressed. I don't think I could do a 23L non-alcoholic batch with my equipment Gonzo. That's because I use old soft drink bottles. I only do soda in small batches. It would be possible to scale the recipe up, probably reduce the sugar a bit and ferment it out though. If you have a keg set up you could make it up to the required amount omit the fermenting agent and just force carbonate it.
Prost!!!!!!!!!!!

wildschwein

Postby gonzo7310 » Wednesday Jul 25, 2007 6:31 pm

KEG wrote:don't stress gonzo, i've no doubt wildschwein will keep us updated :)
lol I know I stress to much lol...
gonzo7310

Postby wildschwein » Wednesday Jul 25, 2007 11:49 pm

This CS came up well. Seems to need a bit more vanilla. But the flavour overall is pretty balanced and old style. Will be making again soon
Prost!!!!!!!!!!!

wildschwein

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .