My first real Ginger beer.

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Postby geebz » Thursday Oct 18, 2007 9:04 am

cinnamon and apple. Seemed to make sense at the time.

Ginger has started to ferment pretty slowly but fermenting all the same.
geebz

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Oct 18, 2007 10:19 am

Dont stress too much geebz - find the champers yeast isnt a crazy coopers-esque beast. Little to no krausen. I usually left it go for a month in primary, let it ferment right out to 1.000 or lower.

Cinnamon and apple makes sense to me! Apple crumble anyone?

Scanman is right - it adds, along with the cloves a nice background flavour. The ginger bites up front but i find the addition of a few spices balances it out.

And before i go crowing on about MY GB recipe lets just set the record straight. I pinched it from HERE last year.

My stocks are running low - very tempted to see what some light crystal malt (mentioned in the original recipe) would do. 500g would be overkill in a beer but all that residual sweetness may be the final touch i need to make this the winner it almost is.

Cheers
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Postby scanman » Thursday Oct 18, 2007 12:24 pm

drsmurto wrote:My stocks are running low - very tempted to see what some light crystal malt (mentioned in the original recipe) would do. 500g would be overkill in a beer but all that residual sweetness may be the final touch i need to make this the winner it almost is.

Cheers
DrSmurto

Now that would be interesting having a slight malt taste in a ginger beer. Not sure how that would go. Personally I am not into the ginger beers that tatse liske someone through some ginger flavour into a lager. The Blue Tongue Ginger beer is like this. Not into that style at all.

And as for cinnamon in apple cider, not convinced of that either myself. Personally can't see apple cider as a drink deserving of any spice, unlike ginger beer which I think is greatly improved with some cloves and cinnamon. Again, each to their own but.
Who ever said nothing was impossible, never tried to slam a revolving door....
scanman

Postby drsmurto » Friday Oct 26, 2007 2:46 pm

Going down tomorrow

1.5kg ginger
1 kg LDME
1.5 kg sugar (combo of raw and dark/dememera)
0.5kg caramalt
2 cinnamon sticks
10 cloves
2 lemons or 1 lemon, 1 lime
champers yeast
20L

Looking to see what some extra body does to a GB....... but not without a massive ginger kick :twisted:
drsmurto

Postby scanman » Friday Oct 26, 2007 7:53 pm

Sound good Doc. Have to let us know how that ones goes. I am still going through the last one I made based on recipes from you and Dragon guy, slowly. An excellent drop.

Having caramel malt sounds interesting. I think that would work great.
The lemon in it adds a nice flavour. I gave someone a taste and they picked that flavour in it.
Who ever said nothing was impossible, never tried to slam a revolving door....
scanman

Postby drsmurto » Monday Oct 29, 2007 11:12 am

Decided to use only raw sugar, dont want it to dark and if i make too many changes from the last recipe i wont know what was responsible!

Used 500g of old ginger, had to cut off a fair bit of mould, been in the fridge ? 2 months. Plus 750g of fresh ginger. Kitchen smelt amazing!

Pitched the yeast this morning as i ended up boiling almost 12L so had to let it cool o/n.

will keep you updated.

Cheers
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Previous

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .