Dr. Smurto - A question about your GB recipe

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Dr. Smurto - A question about your GB recipe

Postby loftboy » Thursday Aug 09, 2007 4:18 pm

Doc,

With your Bundaberg GB clone, is it possible to make a non-alco version of it ?. My 7yr old son likes the taste of it & wants me to make some for him.

Thanks,

David.

P.S. Like me, you seem to visit a few HB forums (Coopers, AHB, Jimsbeerkit etc.) :D
loftboy

Re: Dr. Smurto - A question about your GB recipe

Postby wildschwein » Thursday Aug 09, 2007 4:34 pm

loftboy wrote:Doc,

With your Bundaberg GB clone, is it possible to make a non-alco version of it ?. My 7yr old son likes the taste of it & wants me to make some for him.

Thanks,

David.

P.S. Like me, you seem to visit a few HB forums (Coopers, AHB, Jimsbeerkit etc.) :D

Hey Dave I'm not the Doctor but if you look down the threads here in Cider, gb, lemonade, wine, mead etc I have posted a fairly detailed set of instructions/ideas on brewing non(=very low)-alcoholic GB. Youi can definitely feed it to kids. It's called "Ye Olde Fashioned Ginger Beer." If you don't want to go to the trouble of making a lacto-bacillus based plant you can just use a cheap ale yeast and follow the same directions. Good thing about the method is you can have a sweet (just like Bundeburg) GB ready in days not weeks or months. This method doesn't require a kit or any real equipment either (other than some old plastic soft drink bottles) and is very cheap to make. I made a 3.75L batch today in 15 minutes and it will be ready by tommorrow or the day after.
Last edited by wildschwein on Saturday Aug 11, 2007 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Prost!!!!!!!!!!!

My Blog: http://www.myspace.com/canaanperry
wildschwein

Postby drsmurto » Friday Aug 10, 2007 10:35 am

Loftboy

I do get around :lol:

Easiest way to make a low alcohol version is to leave out the sugar when you are boiling all the ginger/spices up and then bottle/bulk prime as normal. Easier and less hassle than a ginger plant (no offence wildshwein)

The priming solution will give you approx 0.2-0.5% alcohol depending on how bubbly you make it. As long as your son isnt drinking 10L in a sitting you'll be fine

That way you only need to wait till it carbs up. As little as a week if you can sit them somewhere at 20 C.

Obviously it will still be a dry drink, nothing you can do about that unless you keg or like artificial sweeteners and i suspect most people here know my feelings on that topic :lol:

Cheers
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .