1st Cider Attempt

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

1st Cider Attempt

Postby Vinesy » Thursday Jul 24, 2008 12:28 am

G-Day to all, I've made a few brews of kit style beers (around 6 now) and am pretty happy to say that I only had one turn out not to my liking. Was lucky that it was a hit with a mates taste buds so he was the proud owner of some free beer.
Now that I've tried some brews I thought Id join the forum. So hi to all. :D
Anyway I thought I'd try an apple cider to have in time for this coming summer. I do have a question though that you guys might be ablt to help me with. First I'II tell ya my ingredients and you can tell me if it should be ok or not???

Black Rock Cider Kit and Yeast.
1kg of dextrose
6 peeled/cored chopped granny smith apples
2ltrs 100% apple juice.
20 litres water

Been bubbling away nicely for 7 days so far now. Now for my question : I've heard that I should leave it in the fermenter before bottling for a couple of weeks after fermentation.?? What have you guys been doing in terms of time from fermentation to bottling?? :?: Cheers All, feel free to tell me what ya reckon of my recipe and helping me out.
Vinesy

Re: 1st Cider Attempt

Postby timmy » Thursday Jul 24, 2008 7:58 am

Hi,

The recipe looks good - those BR Cider kits are pretty good by all accounts. With regards to keeping it in the fermenter - as long as you're all sanitary you should be fine. The longer periods should help the much (yeast, bits of apple) fall out of suspension and you'll get a clearer cider.

Cheers,

Tim
timmy

Postby chadjaja » Thursday Jul 24, 2008 8:28 am

I did a cider nearly 2 months ago and its turned out pretty good and its popular with friends already.

I used

Black rock kit
Brewcraft brew booster pack #15
250 grms lactose
3 litres apple juice
1 litre pear juice
kit yeast.

From memory it took about 2 weeks to ferment and settle down. Sat at 19 degres for most of the time. Mine is pretty clear and there was quite a heavy and compacted sediment layer on the bottom of the fermenter that made me happy. Could do with some more carbonation though even after all this time and using carb drops to carb it up. The lower temps its been stored at is probably the reason though.

Only thing I'd do next time is add more apple juice but its not far off what the wife wanted anyway and she aint complaining about having nearly 3 cases for $35.

Good luck
chadjaja

Postby Vinesy » Thursday Jul 24, 2008 9:24 am

Thanks for the info, timmy and chadj glad to heer your cider has been a hit, I'm hoping for a similar result.
I think my location and set-up is pretty sanitary so I reckon I'II give it longer time in the fermenter.
Thanks again, I'II let ya's know how it keeps coming along.
Chadj roughly what temp did you keep your brew at after bottling and for how long? Have you moved the bottles from this storage and temp since and if so what is the ideal temp / location for long term storage. Sorry about all the questions but I guess you know what its like, it kinda becomes your baby and you want the best for it..HA :lol: :lol:

Cheers :D :D
Vinesy

Postby chadjaja » Thursday Jul 24, 2008 6:58 pm

No worries mate. I kept them in the house at room temp for about a month or so and since then they have been sitting in the garage for only a short while and it gets pretty cold out there. After the first 3-4 weeks for carbing etc I don't think it hurts them too much to sit out somewhere colder. Double brick garage is still better than outside :lol:

As far as long term storage I doubt they will last that long. After all if they taste good now then they are there to drink right? I always put a few away of each batch of beer to sample at 6 months and a year etc just to give me an idea of how maturation effects that type of beer and whats the ideal timeframe from bottling to drinking is best. For eg my wheat beer was great from 3 weeks to 2 months but after that it took a nose dive and sucked.

Good luck.
chadjaja

Postby Vinesy » Thursday Jul 24, 2008 11:25 pm

Cheers for the info, given a good dose of confidence :D I'II pretty much be doing the same as you mentioned, got the garage so after some room temp I'II whack em out there. Your right, I probably shouldnt have used the word long term, cos yeah if they are good they wont be lasting long thats for sure. I like how you keep a couple of your beers for different storage times just to try and get some knowledge of maturation, think I'II have to start that one. Untill now my other beer brews have been demolished.

Thanks again and as mentioned I'II keep it posted how the cider goes.
Cheers :) :D
Vinesy

Postby Vinesy » Thursday Jul 31, 2008 1:38 am

Just thought I'd quick up-date on my cider I've got going, tomorrow is two weeks in fermenter.
Thinking of bottling tomorrow. Condition inside at around 21-22 deg And then wait for the great tasting to start.

Cheers :D
Vinesy

Postby Vinesy » Thursday Sep 11, 2008 11:36 am

Just thought I'd send an update on the cider, cracked the first bottle the ohter day and was a beauty!
All bottles have been left inside at around room temp of 20. I chilled one bottle down and it a rippa.
Trouble for me now is trying to keep them more for the hotter days, think I'II have them gone by then.
Oh yeah I tried one glas of a mixed 50/50 with some bitter home brew I did and it tasted good too.
Thanks for all the tips etc gents.
Vinesy

Postby chadjaja » Thursday Sep 11, 2008 7:50 pm

Thats great mate. Congrats.

I'm about to put in another batch for summer too as the first batch has been raided by both family and guests so much we haven't had many to drink ourselves. Yours hasn't been in bottle too long and let me tell you it will only get better too.
chadjaja

Postby Pom » Monday Sep 15, 2008 8:20 pm

Black rock kit
250 grms lactose
3 litres apple juice
1 litre pear juice
kit yeast.

Chad im about to have a go at your cider recipe
Can you tell me the final volume you fill the fermenter up to. Also I im planning on putting 6l of apple juice in, this shouldn't make any difference to the amounts of the other ingrediants I put in should it?
Cheers rob
Pom

Postby chadjaja » Tuesday Sep 16, 2008 7:40 am

Good luck mate but you wont need it :D

From memory it was 21 or 22 litres. Definately wasn't 23 litres. I don't keep records and maybe I should start doing it :?
chadjaja

Postby Pom » Tuesday Sep 16, 2008 5:37 pm

cheers chad I'll let you know how it goes. :shock:
Pom

Postby Vinesy » Monday Sep 22, 2008 5:46 am

Pom wrote:cheers chad I'll let you know how it goes. :shock:

Hi Pom I reckon you'll be ok with the extra apple juice, going from the cider I did it can only enhance the apple to the brew. Yeah Chad, I've managed to not touch any of the cider damn hard though...But as you said it can only get better and thats what I'm waiting for!!!!
Cheers
Vinesy

Postby Pom » Monday Sep 22, 2008 4:16 pm

Guys
I put the cider down on sunday. Now just kick back and let it do its thing. Is it worth racking the cider? And how long after bottling do you guys leave before indulging?
Cheer Rob :D :D
Pom

Postby chadjaja » Wednesday Dec 10, 2008 6:42 pm

I just tried my latest batch of cider to the same recipe that is posted above and its already great at such a young age. Been in bottle only 3-4 weeks. I've got older cider that is obviously better but this is still good to drink now :lol: Still time to put one in if you want a decent cider for the warm summer nights ahead. I actually like the stuff :lol:
chadjaja

Postby CarlosN » Sunday Mar 22, 2009 9:14 am

chadjaja wrote:I did a cider nearly 2 months ago and its turned out pretty good and its popular with friends already.

I used

Black rock kit
250 grms lactose
3 litres apple juice
1 litre pear juice
kit yeast.

First time post, so be gentle! :D

Hi there, I'm also going to try the above for the wife who likes her ciders sweet, but doesn't mind the dry either.

When I bought the Black rock can, the guy at the HB shop said I could use normal sugar. Now, I've got a box of the Cooper's Brew Enhancer 2, which I assume I can use instead? I don't have the booster pack as above.

Finally, what priming measures are you guys using for the bottles? I have a number of 330 ml and 750 ml glass bottles that I'll use for this. For my beers, I've used the Coopers carbonation drops. Would that also work for the cider?

Cheers,

Carlos.
CarlosN

Postby skurvy84 » Tuesday Mar 24, 2009 2:28 pm

i tried to make a cider using the brigalow kit....it was very unpleasent.

have added this to the reciepe folder now. sounds delight full, might make it shortly and let it sit till summer comes round.

thanks guys
drsmurto = trusted seller :) :) :)
skurvy84

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .