No bubbles?

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

No bubbles?

Postby Drewus » Saturday Sep 27, 2008 2:57 pm

Hey guys,

I brewed up a cider a few weeks ago. Standard Blackrock deal, with a 1.25L bottle of apple/pear juice thrown in to sweeten it up a bit. Fermented over a period of about 2 weeks, and I put it on a heat pad to keep it bubbling along.

So i tested the gravity, it showed it was bottling time, and so i went ahead and bottled it all in longnecks with a couple of sugar drops each. It's now been about 3 weeks since I bottled it, and I cracked open a bottle to see how it was coming along.

Now whilst the taste is really good, the brew is flat. There's a little bit of carbonation in there but nothing all that exciting. So i tried another bottle and it's the same deal.
During the fermentation process, there was one day when I came home and noticed that the fermenter had gone up to over the 30C mark. Could my problem be that the yeast has died off due to the higher temperatures, and so now I have nothing in the bottles to keep them primed?

Is there a solution to this or is my brew completely screwed?

Thanks.
Drewus

Re: No bubbles?

Postby Boonie » Saturday Sep 27, 2008 4:41 pm

Give them a shake and a bit more time.

Some of my Ginger Beers that I have made have taken longer than what my beers take to carb.

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Re: No bubbles?

Postby Chris » Sunday Sep 28, 2008 10:41 am

I have had ciders take a LONG time to carb. Rotate, and keep warm.
A beer in the hand is worth two in George Bush...

"They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza"
Psychostick
Chris

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .