Apple Press anyone?

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Apple Press anyone?

Postby Andy - Go Hawks! » Tuesday Oct 21, 2008 3:53 pm

Because I have my own Apple and Pear trees at home I want to make 'authentic' Cider and Perry. As such I will need to find an apple press.Does anyone know of a company that make or hire one out?
Ive seen plans on how to make them but all are large and would be a pain to make/store for a couple of batches of fruit per year.
As always,any help is appreciated.

Cheers
Andy
Andy - Go Hawks!

Re: Apple Press anyone?

Postby Kevnlis » Wednesday Oct 22, 2008 8:17 am

http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/press/apple_grinder.html

...easy enough and should get the job done!
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Andy - Go Hawks! » Wednesday Oct 22, 2008 8:22 pm

My DIY skills run to painting a wall at best. Nice idea but this is way beyond my basic skills. Thats why I go to work and pay tradesmen to do 'stuff' at home!
Thanks for the info though...if someone wants to build one I will happily make it worth their while!

Cheers Kev for your reply

Andy
Andy - Go Hawks!

Postby Andy - Go Hawks! » Wednesday Oct 22, 2008 8:27 pm

And you still have to press the fruit afterwards,so the grinder is no different from a processor to break the apple into bits!
Andy - Go Hawks!

Postby Bizier » Friday Oct 24, 2008 2:13 pm

I know of one up here (actually in blue mountain area) and I was discussing the same thing with my father (we have both apples and pears) - the thing is that this one is in a cider factory, and might be acetobacterrific... Def not portable though, big hydraulics involved.
Bizier

Postby Andy - Go Hawks! » Friday Oct 24, 2008 3:26 pm

Thats what I have found as well - they are just too damn big to have sitting around in a shed unused for 50 weeks a year.
Unfortunately I still keep looking at my fruit trees and see gallons of scrumpy sitting there! :shock:
The only other option I came up with :idea: was going to a secondhand kitchen supplier to see if they had a "pre-loved" commercial juicer for sale and then flogging it on ebay after I had finished with it.
I figured a homesized juicer wouldn't last the distance going through hundreds of pears at a go.
Cheers

Andy
Andy - Go Hawks!

Postby drsmurto » Friday Oct 24, 2008 4:18 pm

Contact your state rare fruit society or cider making clubs.

Am sure you can find them via google et al.

I know a HBS in Adelaide that hires them out. The beer and wine society (SA) has one.

For my small scale batches i use my juicer. I bought it when livin in the UK as i couldnt get nice fresh juice over there so made my own. Was 100 GBP so not cheap but makes short work of whole apples.

Ideally you want to press rather than pureeing them.
drsmurto

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .