using apple juice?

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

using apple juice?

Postby Hunter » Friday Dec 12, 2008 11:56 pm

I'm about to put a cider on, and was gonna add a couple of litres of apple juice, only to get home and realise I'd bought juice that was reconstituted... is this ok to use?
Hunter

Re: using apple juice?

Postby Bizier » Saturday Dec 13, 2008 8:09 am

The Berri brand stuff has no preservatives to damage the yeast, which is why people choose it. It is also 99.99% (or thereabouts) reconstituted apple juice. I am going to ferment about 20L of the stuff in a few minutes.

It is not going to be as good as a fresh juice from freshly picked apples, but it will make cider.

I'd say, and it is only because of what others have said here, that just watch out for the preservatives.
Bizier

Postby Hunter » Saturday Dec 13, 2008 1:10 pm

this is Berri fruit juice drink, ingrediants are

water, reconstituted aple juice (35%), sugar, food acid (330), vitamin c, flavour, colour (150d)
I have four litres of this, and a 2 litre bottle of Berri apple and pear. was just gonna replace 6 litres of water with all this juice, what do ya reckon?
Hunter

Postby Bizier » Sunday Dec 14, 2008 12:06 am

Are you talking about a kit + juice VS a kit + water?

go the juice whatever the circumstance IMO
Bizier

Postby timmy » Sunday Dec 14, 2008 8:56 pm

I recently put down a cider using 12L of Berri apple juice (reconstituted) + the Wyeast cider strain and it tastes bloody nice out of the fermenter.
timmy

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .