Ginger Beer epic Fail

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Ginger Beer epic Fail

Postby Gusto » Monday Feb 16, 2009 8:25 pm

Hi, :D
I made a plant in a tall jar. About a cup and a half of cold water, some grated ginger, some powdered ginger, some white sugar and a little packet of ale yeast from my HB shop. It bubbled away nicely and I fed it every day with more ginger, more sugar and a bit more water. After a week, I dissolved about 200g of Dextrose in a litre of hot water and chucked in a teaspoon and a bit of tartaric acid. When it was cool, in went the juiced two lemons, and the strained plant, then I topped it up to 11 litres with cold water and bottled it into 1.25 litre plastic bottles. One week has passed without any explosions. The end product has a great colour, it's pretty gassy so it has to be opened carefully, but has no ginger flavour. It tastes craptacular. It's an epic fail. The whole lot has to be chucked out. Does the plant have to be three or four times bigger to make that quantity? I made it once before with only a cup of plant, producing only 4L, and it was great, "Somewhat yeasty in taste" said the war department.
This latest plant was at least 3-4 cups in volume, so theoretically it should have made more than twice as much.
I'm about ready to give up on a plant and buy a commercial kit, only they are a bit sweet and I really want a 0% alc GB.
Any thoughts or advice appreciated. TIA. :mrgreen:
Gusto

Re: Ginger Beer epic Fail

Postby FazerPete » Monday Feb 16, 2009 9:01 pm

I've never done the plant thing so I can't give you much help on that but I can recommend a kit. The Old Fashioned Ginger Beer that you can get from HB shops has the sweetener in a separate packet so you can choose how much you want to add. I generally only use half the packet and it comes out pretty good.

It has instructions for non-alcoholic GB on it but I must admit that I don't see how it's possible to make non-alcoholic drinks when you are adding yeast and feeding it sugar :? There must be small traces of alcohol.
FazerPete

Re: Ginger Beer epic Fail

Postby Gusto » Tuesday Feb 17, 2009 5:47 pm

Thanks for that, looks like I will have to go with a kit. I understand what you mean about the alc content, I guess I should have said as low an alc content as possible. :)
Gusto

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .