apples

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

apples

Postby TWELVE GAUGE LAGER » Monday Apr 13, 2009 8:54 am

gidddaye! the names bluey other wise known as twelve gauge lager, anyway i came across this site whilst looking for a reason not to throw out my apple scraps after a good from my granny smith tree . so i thought why not ferment it? so that s it i want to ferment this stuff , the question is how do i go about it from scratch? i only have about a kilo of cores and peel has anyone got any ideas? :|
TWELVE GAUGE LAGER

Re: apples

Postby Bizier » Tuesday Apr 14, 2009 9:23 am

Hey 12 Guage,

A few quick points:

A kilo is not much to start with. Normally you are aiming for a decent amount in the fermenter AFTER solids (pulp etc) have been removed. You might have 500ml finished juice, lose some of that to trub and yeast, and end up with a stubbie or less of finished cider... a lot of work there.

You should be using the eating portions of the apples, people sometimes core their cider making apples to minimise toxins or flavours from the seeds.

Watch out for wild yeast living on the surface of the apples. If you juice it all, put a little campden tab (1 per 23L) or potassium/sodium metabisulphite to kill the yeasts and leave over night. Or, just let it wild ferment and see what happens.

If you have already peeled and cored it all, it will most likely be heavily oxidised, which will do no favours for your stubbie of cider.
Bizier

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .