coopers gingerbeer sugar help

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Re: coopers gingerbeer sugar help

Postby Tipsy » Thursday Nov 19, 2009 7:14 am

That scuzzy crap was probably krausen (yeast and stuff) you leave this behind when you bottle.
Hate to say it but you probably tipped good batches.

As for artificial sweetner you can do a search for a gb that Dr Smurto has made from scratch. Should be a good one.
Tipsy

Re: coopers gingerbeer sugar help

Postby DavidP » Tuesday Dec 08, 2009 3:20 pm

Shine wrote:I've poured out three batches of gb and its kind of annoying. In each of the batches, I got this really scuzzy looking bubbly scum across the top of the wort and it stopped fermenting; last reading 1.020. During the first batch, the scuzzy crap foamed out of the air lock and made the top of my nice clean fermenter look like a baby's nappy after three weeks of mashed carrots and green beans. I'm not quite sure what to do about this. Thoughts?

Last recipe:
Coopers can and yeast
1 kg raw sugar
100 g dark brown sugar

Are there any other decent kits out there. When I took my OG, I tasted it and you can taste the artificial sweetener. I don't need sugar free. I'm not on a diet! I want punch baby!

8)

bubbly looking scum on top doesn't mean it's gotten infected or is no good! I doubt you have had 3 infected batches of ginger beer.
I think getting infections are alot harder to get than we might think. Unless it smells and tastes very bad I wouldn't suspect its infected.
bubbly looking scum is very normal for alot of washes. The only washes I've had that havn't had a bubbly scum on top have been grain based.
I would re think throwing out any wash and make sure it tastes bad first.
I actually hope your last 3 were infected! because I would be gutted if I threw out 3 batches of liquid gold for nothing!
DavidP

Previous

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .