Coopers GB + Bundy GB diet cordials

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Coopers GB + Bundy GB diet cordials

Postby Davo123 » Monday Jun 29, 2009 10:57 pm

I added the GB mix + 1k Dex + 1L diet bundy gb concerntrate and pitched yeast accordingly after topping up fermenter.

My problem is, its hardly fermenting bubbling out the airlock mayb once every minute and a half a bit less, Its been sitting in the fermenter for 24hr's now, Temp is 22-24 ( packet said 21-27 )

How can i fix this or do i just throw it out and start again.

Oh the reason for the diet drink was the regular had green gunky slime growing in the bottle at the shop so i gave it a miss, is there an additive in the diet cordial that's killing my yeast or is it just pail boken ?

Ive made a couple of GB's before with the briggalow crap and left it for a long time and it tasted okish, i got this idea from reading a forum post where they just kegged after fermentation, I was going to bottle and let carbonate.
Davo123

Re: Coopers GB + Bundy GB diet cordials

Postby Bum » Tuesday Jun 30, 2009 10:29 am

Don't chuck it!

If it is bubbling it is working (not that not bubbling means it isn't, of course). Might just be taking off slow. The kit might not have been handled the best before it got to you and the yeast might be a little strained. It does sound like it is fermenting though and the little buggers will build up.

Keep your temps constantly in the low 20s and you should be golden. Even if it appears to stop completely you can just give your fermenter a gentle swirl to get some more yeast back into action. As long as you keep your temps pretty steady I reckon you'll be fine.

The only prob you might have is that with the diet cordial you've added even more artificial sweeteners - and these sweeteners are what most people who dislike the kit GBs complain about. I reckon you'll be alright, though.

Good luck with it.
Bum

Postby Davo123 » Tuesday Jun 30, 2009 1:02 pm

Thanks, It has started to take off, no where near as much as id like, but its bubbleing :D Hopefully it wont taste to crappy with all the artificial sweetener's and they mellow towards the end.

The briggalow one i made was like that, but its geting to the 6 month mark and the sweetener is mellowing nicely.
Davo123

Postby Davo123 » Friday Jul 03, 2009 2:11 pm

Just a couple of questiones, Whats LDME ? A Krausen ? and do you guys ever get some wicked gut burn from drinking to much of your brew ?
Davo123

Postby Bum » Friday Jul 03, 2009 2:44 pm

LDME = Light Dry Malt Extract (you can use it instead of brewing sugar/dex/BE2 as your fermentables)
Krausen = the foamy stuff sitting of top of your wort (liquid in fermenter) when ferment is really under way. It dies down after a few days and leaves a ring around the fermenter.

I don't get a pain in the guts. Something needs looking at there - either your beer or your guts. If you mean GBs only maybe you're not built for that much ginger at once? Tasty though it may be. Good luck with that.
Bum

Postby Davo123 » Friday Jul 03, 2009 5:00 pm

I was thinking the same thing, It taste's good on the way down, but once ive got a couple in me the "ginger" seems to build up Kinda feels like wicked heart burn with a ginger after taste.
Davo123

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .