Overheated Ginger Beer

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Overheated Ginger Beer

Postby Anna » Tuesday Jul 21, 2009 11:33 am

Ooops! I have a GB on at the moment (Coopers plus additional....) which, by judicious use of a heating pad at night, has been sitting around 20-22 deg C for a week. Yesterday I forgot to turn the heating pad off before I left for work and when I got home the temp. had gone up to 30 deg!! Will it stuff up do you think? Anna
Anna

Re: Overheated Ginger Beer

Postby Shine » Tuesday Nov 17, 2009 10:05 pm

If it is anything like my gb brewing experiences lately, Franken-Ginger will be stomping around your brewing cellar soon. Call a young priest and an old priest.

Honestly, I'm not sure, I'm just lamenting over having to pitch my last three batches. It makes me weapy just thinking about it right now. :cry:
Shine

Postby drsmurto » Saturday Nov 21, 2009 4:37 pm

Anna wrote:Ooops! I have a GB on at the moment (Coopers plus additional....) which, by judicious use of a heating pad at night, has been sitting around 20-22 deg C for a week. Yesterday I forgot to turn the heating pad off before I left for work and when I got home the temp. had gone up to 30 deg!! Will it stuff up do you think? Anna

The fermentation should be complete or very nearly after a week. IMO, temp control after this time will have less of an impact on the final product than high temps during the early stages of fermentation.

Nothing to worry about Anna!
drsmurto

Postby Anna » Monday Nov 23, 2009 8:08 am

Hi Doc! Hope you had a good weekend and you aren't getting too cooked down there in SA.

That post of mine was actually from July and the GB turned out pretty good. One thing though: the older it got the more it carbonated. Opened the last bottle last week and it was like Mt Vesuvius - just kept fizzing out of the top until there was only an inch of GB left in the bottle! I haven't done any since.

Thanks for the reply anyway - good info for the future for everyone. :wink:
Anna

Postby drsmurto » Monday Nov 23, 2009 10:56 am

Brain still frazzled after 2 conferences in 2 weeks.

Didn't even notice the date of the original post!
drsmurto

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .