Basic Cider Questions

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Basic Cider Questions

Postby Link » Tuesday Aug 04, 2009 12:50 pm

I'm about to make up my second cider. The first one was a kit recipe from the HB shop. This time I'm doing a recipe, or a version of a recipe that I found on here (Oliver's I think).

1 can Black Rock Cider
1kg glucose
125g lactose
3 Granny Smith apples (might go five apples with a mix of varieties).

So, my questions are:

1. Do I need to boil or blanch the apples or anything to get rid of any wild yeasts on the skin, or will a quick wash, peel, core, slice do the job?
2. Will it help or hinder this cider to add some shop bought apple or pear juice (no preservatives of course) and cut back on the glucose?
3. If I do add juice, or even just the apples, do I need to use Campden tabs to kill off any yeast first?

This is step two on my cider journey. Next step will probably be fresh juice from an orchard, then on to juicing my own. Maybe.

Thanks all.
Link.
Beers are friends, not food.
Link

Re: Basic Cider Questions

Postby Bum » Tuesday Aug 04, 2009 7:00 pm

Adding juice will help a lot, IMO. The more the merrier. Make sure you get a pasteurised, preservative free juice - then you'll definitely have no worries about wild yeasts. Juices like Berri or the cheapest Aldi one seem to be most commonly used.
Bum

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .