1st try at apple cider??

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Re: 1st try at apple cider??

Postby rotten » Thursday May 13, 2010 5:55 pm

Hello Anna. Tasted cider after work today. First impression was good, although a bit tart and too much carbonation gave it a dry feel, almost a champagne feel or a dry sparkling white wine, even though it tastes like cider. Will add lactose or some dex next time so let me know how yours goes. I had a strongbow dry at the same time to compare apples with apples, and it was definately sweeter than mine. I never noticed until today but strongbow seemrd to have a lingering smokey taste or a sense that it was barrell brewed to me, or maybe i just need to stop smoking while drinking.
Cheers
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby Anna » Friday May 14, 2010 8:50 am

I thought you'd find it too dry Rotten. My first batch was like that (think "cat's bum mouth"). It will improve with age I think. I've got another batch on now (with the lactose), as my husband can't get enough of it. It's certainly got a kick to it - you can taste the alcohol (I think that's why he likes it so much!), and yes, almost like apple-wine. Even with the 500 gm lactose I wouldn't say it's too sweet - just right for us. 8)
Anna

Postby drsmurto » Friday May 14, 2010 10:55 am

rotten wrote:Hello Anna. Tasted cider after work today. First impression was good, although a bit tart and too much carbonation gave it a dry feel, almost a champagne feel or a dry sparkling white wine, even though it tastes like cider. Will add lactose or some dex next time so let me know how yours goes. I had a strongbow dry at the same time to compare apples with apples, and it was definately sweeter than mine. I never noticed until today but strongbow seemrd to have a lingering smokey taste or a sense that it was barrell brewed to me, or maybe i just need to stop smoking while drinking.
Cheers

I didn't comment before but the extra carbonation may have come from the ferment not being finished. You bottled at 1.006, i would have expected it to get down to 1.000, maybe lower.
drsmurto

Postby rotten » Friday May 14, 2010 1:31 pm

You are probably right doc. I intended to leave it for two weeks no matter what after reading another post elsewhere. Bottled it after 7 days i think, hydrometer was stable at 1006 for two days though. Lesson learnt.

What's your thoughts on yeast, used coopers for nutrient and pitching. Tried finding a champagne yeast at the time, need to go online. I bought a cider yeast and didn't use it.

Also how could i make it a bit sweeter when drinking?
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby Anna » Friday May 14, 2010 1:36 pm

I think mine fermented for 3 weeks Rotten. Wouldn't stop bubbling! I'm going to leave everything for 3 weeks in future - they come out a lot clearer.

PS: Add some apple juice in the glass with it.
Anna

Postby drsmurto » Friday May 14, 2010 1:38 pm

rotten wrote:You are probably right doc. I intended to leave it for two weeks no matter what after reading another post elsewhere. Bottled it after 7 days i think, hydrometer was stable at 1006 for two days though. Lesson learnt.

What's your thoughts on yeast, used coopers for nutrient and pitching. Tried finding a champagne yeast at the time, need to go online. I bought a cider yeast and didn't use it.

Also how could i make it a bit sweeter when drinking?

Never seen a dry cider yeast, i personally use Wyeast 4766 (cider) as it really lets the apple flavour and aroma shine through. It produces a dry cider.

If you just want it sweet when drinking add apple juice. If you want it sweet out of the bottle then good luck. Lactose and a metric shedload of it or artificial sweeteners are your 2 options.

Cider takes much longer to ferment than beer so 2 weeks minimum, i leave mine for 4 weeks.
drsmurto

Postby Anna » Friday May 14, 2010 1:49 pm

Doc, I know you keep saying that to sweeten cider with lactose you "need a metric shedload of it", but I use 500 gm and it comes out sweet-as, perfect! :roll:
Anna

Postby bullfrog » Saturday May 15, 2010 10:05 am

drsmurto wrote:Never seen a dry cider yeast, i personally use Wyeast 4766 (cider) as it really lets the apple flavour and aroma shine through. It produces a dry cider.

The Country Brewer (at least the one in Richmond, NSW) sells a dry cider yeast. Doesn't say what strain it is, or anything. Haven't used it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were just a champagne yeast.
bullfrog

Postby Planner » Monday May 17, 2010 1:55 pm

drsmurto wrote:Cider takes much longer to ferment than beer so 2 weeks minimum, i leave mine for 4 weeks.

I've got one slowly bubbling away, dropping about a point each day. Been in there for three weeks and still sitting at 1018 when tested yesterday. Temp is a bit low in the shed so it's only just maintaining 16deg during the night.
I'm comfortable with my sanitation and the lid hasn't been opened, so for the moment I'm happy to let it sit. If the need for a fermenter gets urgent I'll give it a push with the heat pad.

Planner
Nothing interesting to see here, move along.
Planner

Postby kepal » Thursday Dec 30, 2010 12:20 pm

Hello everyone, this is my first post and not sure if its even in the right place, but here goes... we have just joined the happy home brewers family, got a few brews down now and 4 fermenters on my kitchen table, lucky its strong :? Anyway my main question is where do I get the right apple juice? We searched the town for one with no additives at all and couldnt find anything, I have only got my 2nd cider on the go now and used brigalow kit and 4 large apple peeled cored and sliced, I feel that its not going to be nice at all and will put me off home brewing, husband hasnt tasted any of his beer yet as we are leaving them for at least 4 weeks after bottling.
kepal

Postby Bum » Thursday Dec 30, 2010 1:41 pm

Longlife apple juices are almost all preservative free these days. If you can get Berri thats definitely preservative free and wi'll make a nice cider - Safeway and Aldi homebrands are also suitable.

Keep your temps as low as the yeast will let you on the Brigalow (all ciders, really)and it might be a little better than you expect - although they don't have a tremendously good name, but you're prepared for the worst already so it should be alright.
Bum

Previous

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .