Nottingham as mead yeast?

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Nottingham as mead yeast?

Postby Finnagann » Monday Feb 01, 2010 5:33 am

I'm planning 3 different 1gal batches of mead for a special occasion. I'd like to do two with wine yeast, and 1 with ale yeast.

Does Nottingham have the horsepower for this? All the info I can find only says it has a "high alc tolerance", I can't find where it craps out. Anyone have experience with its high end? And given the high alc environment would two packets be advisable for 1gal? Or is one sufficient?
Finnagann

Re: Nottingham as mead yeast?

Postby Finnagann » Monday Feb 01, 2010 6:40 am

Y'ar I found it on gotmead.com . This yeast will take it to 12 - 15% !! :!: I had no idea it was that hardy.
Finnagann

Postby bullfrog » Wednesday Feb 03, 2010 7:53 am

Interesting that you're using an ale yeast in a mead. Have you done this before, or are you just experimenting?

Are you making a spiced mead? I tend to find that Nottingham mutes flavours a bit more than most other strains, so you may want to consider upping your adjunct quantities, too. Just a thought.
bullfrog

Postby Finnagann » Thursday Feb 04, 2010 1:21 am

Well I'm feeling a little stressed for time. The plan is to make the mead for some good friends of ours wedding/ "honey"moon in September, which I thought was plenty of lead. BUt actually it sounds like I'm cutting things close (some say needs a year or two to cure). We have 4 or 5 LHBS's here but they are all lame. The best one has 3 kinds of hops ($4-5 per oz) some waaay over priced malt and two kinds of beer yeast, Notty and coopers dry ale yeast. I can also find Windsor and a Morgan's dry lager yeast...

So my selection is limited, the local micro-b has some Wyeast but proly not that one and they're busy so hard to get ahold of. I can find some wine yeasts so my next move is to call around and see if I can find a usable one.

DO you know how clean that mead yeast is? If it was clean enough it might be worth waiting and trying to order some
Finnagann

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Feb 04, 2010 11:40 am

I've never made mead.

I use beer yeast when making beer.

I use cider yeast when making cider.

I use wine yeast when making wine.

If/when i make mead i will use a mead yeast.

Could just be the logical scientist in me, could be common sense. :lol:
drsmurto

Postby Finnagann » Thursday Feb 04, 2010 3:01 pm

Ya given my druthers I would use mead yeast and will probably end up using wine yeast. Unless I make a braggot (mead made partly with malt).

Thanks Bullfrog, I've always heard that it was neutral but I didn't realise it was neutralizing... makes me wonder about using it for ale. How pronounced is this effect?
Finnagann

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Feb 04, 2010 3:14 pm

Nottingham tends to mute the hop flavours/aroma in my experience.

I have used it for porters/stouts where this isn't an issue but would always prefer a good, liquid english ale yeast over Nottingham.

If you wanted to use an ale yeast in a mead i would use a more neutral one such as US05. It doesn't flocculate as well as nottingham but since meads are left for a long time this is a moot point.
drsmurto

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .