dark & stormy

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

dark & stormy

Postby beerslut » Tuesday Mar 30, 2010 12:45 pm

Hey peoples ive decided to make a batch of dark & stormy for a 50th bday present, its for a good friend who loves alcoholic ginger beer and also rum, hence the d&s. Ive gone with a pre-packed ginger beer (colony west) and brewed it as per instuctions. Then ive put a 700ml bottle of bundaburg red into the fermenter with the mix. not sure how it would go so im thinking about doing another brew as a backup if it tastes crap. maybe holding off on the rum until bottling and adding less sugar but im worrried about getting the 2ndry fermentation right, not overgassing ect. i have 5 months to get it right so if im off base any imput would be greatly appriciated
beerslut

Re: dark & stormy

Postby bullfrog » Tuesday Mar 30, 2010 1:35 pm

Did you add the rum before or after brewing the Ginger Beer?

Also, what were your hydrometer readings for the brew?

I'd also look at doing a Ginger Beer recipe that you find on the internet (this site has some good ones) as opposed to following the kit instructions. I've never done just a straight kit as they don't tend to have a terrific popularity amongst brewers, and it doesn't take all that much to dress them up a bit.
bullfrog

Postby beerslut » Wednesday Mar 31, 2010 8:56 pm

put the rum in the fermenter with the ginger beer brew from the start. I thought this may get rid of any sugars in the rum and cause less trouble later when bottling.hydrometer reading would have been a good idea,i am an idiot, too many sherbets while trying not to drink the rum didnt help much
beerslut

Postby bullfrog » Wednesday Mar 31, 2010 10:17 pm

I probably would have brewed my ginger beer as per normal and then rack to secondary on top of the rum for maybe another week, and then bottle/keg when I had a constant SG over three days.

I suppose that you may possibly run into problems when adding the alcohol percentage of the rum before the yeast has a chance to multiply. Guessing here, but that's the reason that I would add it post fermentation of the GB.
bullfrog

Postby beerslut » Thursday Apr 01, 2010 12:14 pm

thanks mate might run another brew straight after this one and give that a crack
might even get more creative with the gb
beerslut

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .