My first stout

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

My first stout

Postby warra48 » Tuesday Jul 27, 2010 5:08 pm

After 3 years of brewing AG, I thought it was time for my first Stout. Brewed it today.

Kept it simple. 90 minute single infusion mash at 66ºC, 90 minute boil. Achieved 91.3% mash efficiency, in my normal range.

3.5 kg Pale Malt
1.0 kg Flaked Barley
0.5 kg roast Barley
0.1 kg Rice Hulls (wish I'd used more, the drain and sparge was very slow).
48 gr Target 9.4% at 60 minutes to 43.6 IBU
1 tablet Whirlfloc
1 jar slurry WY1968 harvested yesterday after bottling an IPA.

24.2 litres into the fermenter at OG 1.051.

You have to love winter brewing. My immersion chiller dropped it to 19ºC in 15 minutes.
warra48

Re: My first stout

Postby Tipsy » Tuesday Jul 27, 2010 5:37 pm

warra48 wrote:After 3 years of brewing AG, I thought it was time for my first Stout.

Wow, how long are you going to wait before doing a RIS. :shock:

I haven't done one yet :oops: :wink:
Tipsy

Postby rotten » Tuesday Jul 27, 2010 6:53 pm

Good onya Warra. What did you think of the aromas from the roast barley and the rich colour? I brewed a partial stout a few days ago with roast barley, med crystal and amber, smelt like a chocolate-caramel coffee!! couldn't take myself away from the pot. Hope it tastes as good as it smelt.
Let us know how it goes
Cheers
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby warra48 » Tuesday Jul 27, 2010 6:57 pm

The aroma was one of the best I've ever had from a mash. Loved the deep colour.
The first runnings tasted like coffee liquor! Even mrs warra was impressed.
warra48

Postby Bum » Tuesday Jul 27, 2010 7:28 pm

You've read my mind, Warra. First cab off the rank once the current brew list is completed should be my first stout. Was considering jumping straight to a RIS, a la Tipsy's comment, but have decided I'm not the kind of person who can wait a year to see if his first brew of a style worked out ok. Thinking very seriously about American stouts at the moment.
Bum

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Jul 28, 2010 12:23 pm

Wow, i love stouts, can't believe it has taken you this long. I have 2 ccing at the moment.

I love the look of the wort coming to the boil too, looks just like a giant espresso with a monster head of crema.

I've always said there is no need to add coffee to a stout, the flavour/aroma is already there!

As for the RIS comments, they aren't session beers whereas a well made dry stout a la Warras recipe above is. I'd happily spend a night drinking that stout, a RIS is to be savoured in small quantities (well, mine will be).
drsmurto

Postby SuperBroo » Wednesday Jul 28, 2010 5:23 pm

I dont normally like stouts, but it seems I have to now to enjoy the smell etc, and then I can just enjoy a stout every now and then.

Its funny though, all the ladies love the smell of a mash, but they usually turn theio noses up at hops.
Blokes seem to walk around with their nose in the hops bag, I absolutely love the smell of hops.

Thats one of the nicest things about AG brewing, the smell and look of wort you have extracted yourself, it really is quite satisfying. Next for me is my own hops, planted 2 casade and a hallertua rhizome yesterday...

I'll be sourcing the ingredients for your recipe tomorrow Warra, thanks for posting it :)
SuperBroo

Postby Planner » Monday Aug 09, 2010 2:30 pm

warra48 wrote:After 3 years of brewing AG, I thought it was time for my first Stout.

Warra
I also think it's time for my first stout, although mine has only taken a couple of days.

From the ingredients I have on hand.

3.00kg Pale malt (5.9EBC)
0.20kg Choc malt (700.0EBC)
0.20kg Roasted barley (1200.0EBC)
0.05kg Wheat malt (3.9EBC)
35g PoR (8.9%) 60min
10g EKG (5.8%) 10min
Either CPA or Nottingham as yeast
12.0l batch
10.0l boil
OG 1063
FG 1016
47 IBU

Now to wait for an empty fermenter.

Planner
Nothing interesting to see here, move along.
Planner

Postby drsmurto » Monday Aug 09, 2010 4:53 pm

I would suggest some flaked barley.

Maybe 500g. Drop pale malt down to 2.5kg. And ditch the wheat.

You can get it from most health food shops. No need to crush, just dump them in the mash tun.

If not, try some flaked oats (aka quick cook oats used to make porridge).
drsmurto

Postby Planner » Monday Aug 09, 2010 5:35 pm

Thanks Doc

Got some flaked oats in the pantry, so I'll likely go with that option.
I've only ever tried one oatmeal stout, Samuel Smiths, which was fantastic.
First time for a while that I've got 3 full fermenters, so I've got a couple of weeks to wait. Also need to free up a few more empty bottles.

Planner
Planner

Postby rotten » Monday Aug 09, 2010 6:14 pm

Planner wrote: Also need to free up a few more empty bottles.

Planner

Party at Planners house!! :D :lol:
rotten

Postby Planner » Monday Aug 09, 2010 6:37 pm

rotten wrote:Party at Planners house!! :D :lol:

Heading toward that Rotten. I've got about 150l bottled and 50l in fermenters, so I don't have to brew as hard during the hot weather. It's getting hard to move around the shed without tripping over crates.

I'm determined not to get any more bottles (but it's just so hard to throw them in the recycle bin) :roll: and yes I do know I should move to kegging, but a lot of my beer isn't drank at home.

Planner
Planner

Postby SuperBroo » Tuesday Aug 10, 2010 4:16 pm

Hey Planner,

On Friday I bottled up 18 Pet bottles from a keg to take away on the weekend in the caravan, and it was simple as, easy to fill the bottles right up with no overflow, loss of carbonation etc. It cost me about 40 bucks for the bits to make the complete filler hose (just a cheap counter pressure bottle filler).
Every bottle perfect, no sediment and plenty of carbonation.

So if you are interested in kegging, but the bottling scares you away, there is a very simple way around it, plus the other advantages of kegging.

I will try to post some pics when I work out how, in the kegging thread, next time I bottle some up I'll take some happy snaps.

Cheers,
Chris
SuperBroo

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Aug 10, 2010 4:40 pm

I also bottle from a keg to take beer to parties etc.

Mate made me a counter pressure bottle filler and it works a treat. Fills a stubbie in 30 seconds (plus purging time), cap and on to the next one. That way i can drink out of the stubbie, apparently drinking straight from longnecks is not a good look :lol:
drsmurto

Postby Tipsy » Tuesday Aug 10, 2010 5:35 pm

drsmurto wrote:That way i can drink out of the stubbie, apparently drinking straight from longnecks is not a good look :lol:

Depends if you're wearing your wifebeater singlet or not.
Tipsy

Postby Planner » Tuesday Aug 10, 2010 6:42 pm

Grog wrote:So if you are interested in kegging, but the bottling scares you away, there is a very simple way around it, plus the other advantages of kegging.

I will try to post some pics when I work out how, in the kegging thread, next time I bottle some up I'll take some happy snaps.
Chris

Thanks Grog

Keen to see the pics, but bottling doesn't scare me, either from keg or fermenter. I don't hate the chore as much as most seem to, and it actually provides some dad and daughter time while she primes the bottles for me. No great interest in moving to kegs yet, I have other hobbies (and kids hobbies) also screaming for funding, so kegs are well down the shopping list at present.

Doc & Tipsy, I have been known to sit in the boat, in singlet, listen to the cricket and down a longneck.

Sorry Warra, seem to have derailed your thread.
Planner

Postby speedie » Monday Aug 16, 2010 7:04 pm

Your stout sounds like it was a good adventure for you but I seriously think that your extract ratio would be in the 90S as your equipment is not in the commercial range and low80s is what I would expect a laborites to get
If you have used promash for formulation or any of the other software programs they all err on the high side
I have been brewing for 30 years and have always used this formula to work out my mash extraction degrees Plato x liters of knockout brew divided by kgs of grain used
And when I say kgs of grain used you must not include that portion of grain that doesn’t yield fermentable sugar i.e. burnt brown dark chocolate i.e.
Also any adjuncts that may have been used such as rolled grains etc
And don’t include any sugar that may have been added to your original mash honey or other sweet things
When you have brewed enough with your system you will get to know the system efficiency and can use this to formula when manipulated, i.e. inverted mathematically for all of your future grain bills for any brew that may come to mind
Hope that this helps with future brewing
Good luck speedie
speedie

Postby rotten » Tuesday Aug 17, 2010 2:52 pm

Hey Warra48, let us know how how your taste test goes, I would like to give your recipe a try as mine will definately be e 'sweet' stout. Take some time to mellow I reckon.
Cheers
rotten

Postby speedie » Tuesday Aug 17, 2010 10:16 pm

warra (max) i sort of thought that you would respond re your system% efficency?
you have lots of posts!
speedie
speedie

Postby rotten » Tuesday Aug 17, 2010 10:22 pm

He may have better things to do mate.
rotten

Next

Return to Grain brewing