My first AG details (with pics)

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Re: My first AG details (with pics)

Postby BribieG » Saturday Oct 16, 2010 11:21 am

Welcome to the darkside, squirt.
Well done, I used to use a similar 2 vessel system when I lived in the UK and owned a Bru-heat electric boiler. Now, a possible helpful hint. You have a good old 40L urn, as I do - actually I have two so I can do double side by side batches in the available time. :)

So first, let's recap - you have mashed in the esky using hot liquor from the urn, removed the wort from the grain, then put the wort back in the urn to boil, then into the cube. Good system but as a possible help, see if this idea floats your boat.

Instead of removing the wort from the grain, why not simply remove the grain from the wort by mashing in a purpose made swiss-voile bag in the urn, Using the full volume of liquor (i.e. no sparge) then raising the bag to drain as you bring the wort to the boil. Dispose of the grain easily afterwards.

That way the wort just stays in situ, no need for the esky or other vessels and no need to raise and lower full vessels. Of course you are doing this in the kitchen so would need to find somewhere to hang the bag to drain. I've got a skyhook hanging off a beam laid across the inside of the hatch-into-the-roof.

Hint, I've done this around 150 times now and can assure you this system (BIAB) makes perfectly good and often award winning beers with less faffing around.
The other advantage is that you only have one vessel to clean up. Not knocking your, or anyone elses' systems if they enjoy what they are doing and producing great beer as well 8)
BribieG

Re: My first AG details (with pics)

Postby squirt in the turns » Monday Oct 18, 2010 1:58 pm

Thanks for your feedback, Bribie. I seriously considered BIAB before I made my mash tun, but not having anything to hang the bag from pretty much made the converted Esky the more attractive option.

I think I've pretty much reached the limits of what I can achieve in the unit I'm living in. It's working out well, though - everything can be more or less hidden away when not in use (although the wardrobe in our spare room has pretty much been taken over for storage), I've got the pool for my no-chill cubes, and I'm happy with the beer I've made so far. Given that a small corner of the open plan kitchen/dining area has been taken over by the keg/brewing fridge and soon to be brew box, the other half has been remarkably tolerant... she does love the beer though :D

Doubtless, as soon as we're able to buy our own place and I can screw stuff into the ceiling and make holes the walls, the system will change and grow, and I'll probably try BIAB if for no other reason than to compare to the current system (I think of it as a 2.5 vessel arrangement). There might be a few items on the to do list above it, though... a bar springs to mind 8)
squirt in the turns

Previous

Return to Grain brewing