Decoction mashing makes mashing easy!!!

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Decoction mashing makes mashing easy!!!

Postby munkey » Wednesday Jun 22, 2005 12:17 am

honestly i just did a double Decoction mash, and it turned into a triple, it was soooooooo easy, i mean really it was, you must do it.

i just proceeded as normal and took the mash from the tun, popped it in a pan on the stove, cooked it, returned and the temp was bang on, (all hail beer smith), i usually have a big fanny on bringing the temp to the correct level, then to make the mash change for different profiles i had to fanny on some more, (crappy setup i guess for changing temps), but this Will Suit all you infusers to the ground.

dogger.

Pepsi challenge outa the window for me, never going back, fingers crossed its all ts cracked up to be.

PS dogger is now added to my spell check dictionary lol. :lol:
8) englend victorious "ashes 2005" 8)
munkey

Re: Decoction mashing makes mashing easy!!!

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Jun 22, 2005 11:01 am

munkey wrote:.. i usually have a big fanny on bringing the temp to the correct level, then to make the mash change for different profiles i had to fanny on some more ...

Munkey,

I assume fanny means something different to what it does here in Australia, and something else again to what it means in the US (and maybe Canada) :D

I always was amused by "Aunt Fanny" in the Famous Five.

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby munkey » Wednesday Jun 22, 2005 6:48 pm

thinking about it, it probably meant the same thing but is just adapted as slang for my district, it means like mess about or a faf on.
munkey

Postby Friar » Wednesday Jun 22, 2005 7:04 pm

Munkey

in the States it's the back bum of a female and here in Australia you usually conceive a "Fanny" to be the front bum of a female. :shock: :oops: :shock: :oops:

I'll defer to Dogger for the Canadian version

F
I'm not as think as you drunk I am
Friar

Postby Evo » Wednesday Jun 22, 2005 7:37 pm

Yeah, it means the same in jolly Engerland as well. Like Munkey said, they've just adapted it. Reminds me of the line in The Office where Keith gives Dawn some advice about the US. "Over there your fanny means your ass. Not your minge." Gold ! Top series.

Anyhoo, can you elaborate on this double (or triple) decoction lark please Munkey ? I've read about it somewhere but it didn't sink in. And, I gotta say, not that it really bothered me before, but I'm digging the new spell checker Munkey.
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Postby Dogger Dan » Wednesday Jun 22, 2005 9:41 pm

Cool

We have fanny packs so its not like it means anything bad. Mind you we have a store called "Roots" to
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby munkey » Thursday Jun 23, 2005 12:17 am

office.... choice series..

anyway, deco mashing.... apparently it increases the malt flavor, and makes the starches more available to the enzymes, this method i believe was developed to increase the yield of poorly malted grains, and in the case of a wit etc, the enzyme power is substantially decreased, so this helps with the mash efficiency,

however most styles apparently benefit from this process, with increased depth and more complex flavors.

i found that you Can quite easily control the temp of your mash with this method two, having precise rests and accurate step ups.

if you require any more specific info you ask n ill type up some more.
munkey

Return to Grain brewing