moisture pickup

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Re: moisture pickup

Postby SuperBroo » Friday Sep 03, 2010 11:16 am

sorry Mat, dunno how the hell i did that :? but i edited it out mate

but hey... I might have found a way to post stupid questions under someone elses name :)

cheers,
Chris
SuperBroo

Postby hirns » Friday Sep 03, 2010 7:11 pm

:oops: I cannot believe I did that! Been stewing on this all day at a work conference and was not at my desk! What was I thinking! I can't believe that I made such a HUGE mistake!!! The Tower of Piza is in Italy, I do apologise profusely. I know this basic fact and cannot understand how this has occurred, may have been slightly agitated. Piza has a higher average rainful than France, thus moisture pick-up in unsealed grain is more problematic. :oops: Sorry to have mislead anyone!
hirns

Postby speedie » Friday Sep 03, 2010 8:07 pm

Removed, gibberish.
speedie

Postby hirns » Friday Sep 03, 2010 9:13 pm

speedie wrote:Removed, gibberish.!

YEP! I was wrong yet again, thanks’ for making that painfully clear: :oops: I'm demonstrating the fact that I'll admit that I was wrong and gave very poor condescending information. Sorry, yet again to any that I’ve misled: “pissza out of France", pizza originates in Italy as well :oops: Such a dummkopf at times :oops: Germany, by the way has a bigger issue yet again with moisture pick up then Italy.

Hirns
hirns

Postby speedie » Saturday Sep 04, 2010 1:55 pm

thought that you guys might like a read on handling malted barley
http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/ibms/Harvesting_08_07_07.pdf
speedie

Postby Bum » Saturday Sep 04, 2010 2:00 pm

I'm sure that will be very handy should I ever buy a grain elevator.
Bum

Postby speedie » Saturday Sep 04, 2010 4:43 pm

it is refered to as a silo
am sure!! that you coud understand what was detailed
speedie

Postby Bum » Saturday Sep 04, 2010 5:42 pm

Yep. Handling vast quantities of grain prior to sale. Not something I do.

Airtight plastic box out of the sun will do me, I think.
Bum

Postby warra48 » Saturday Sep 04, 2010 6:21 pm

Interesting read, but not really relavant to what I do as a brewer. I buy my grain already malted, kilned, roasted etc etc, ready to weigh out and put through my mill.

There are no plans to start malting my own grain, nor to get into commercial quantities.

I brew up to 25 litres at a time, and I do it for these reasons:

1. I'm retired, so it's a great way to spend 6 hours or so to give mrs warra some peace.
2. I love the beers I brew, having never been a fan of major commercial brewers standard products (known as megaswill by some, but I don't want to use a derogatory term).
3. I can brew to any style I wish, but I tend to limit it to about 7 or 8 styles which I like.
4. I'm still in awe of how easy the process is at its most basic, but I continue to strive to improve my beers. That's part of the fascination of brewing.
5. Lastly, it is cheaper than buying commercial products. As a self-funded retiree, it makes the whole thing easier to sell to mrs warra. I spend less on my brewing than I do on my golf (I think).
6. It's fun frequenting the brewing forums, picking up new knowledge where I think it's legitimate, and discarding crap I neither wish to accept nor disprove. My list of saved links and documents is long.
7. Any other reasons I haven't thought of.
8. I'm loving the Munich Dunkel I'm imbibing at present. If my memory serves me correctly, it's very like the last Weihenstephan Dunkel I had not long ago.

Have a good father's day tomorrow to all who have managed to breed. To any others, enjoy the day in any event.
warra48

Postby speedie » Saturday Sep 04, 2010 9:03 pm

Thank you for your comments warra and I will have a happy furthers day
My point in that moisture post is that it does pick up in higher humidity
And temperatures
Granted that you may only store small amounts and it isn’t a problem for you
Hope that enjoy your dunkel uncle
speedie
:wink:
speedie

Previous