moisture pickup

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

moisture pickup

Postby speedie » Thursday Sep 02, 2010 9:00 am

do you all grain brewers in the tropics have any problems with moisture pickup
how do you store your malt?
speedie

Re: moisture pickup

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Sep 02, 2010 1:22 pm

In plastic containers.

Never had any issues with grain storage.

drsmurto

Postby earle » Thursday Sep 02, 2010 1:28 pm

I think Adelaide might be classed as sub-tropics Doc :lol:
earle

Postby hirns » Thursday Sep 02, 2010 1:36 pm

Being situated on the Tropic of Capricorn, I find that the southern side of my storage cupboard draws less moisture. The grain on the northern side of the cupboard I leave in Ross' heavy plactic bags and tape them back up with PVC tape if I don't use all of the bag 8) . I've never had any issues, however my grain would not last any longer than 6 months at most without being used and replaced.

Cheers

Hirns
hirns

Postby earle » Thursday Sep 02, 2010 1:42 pm

There is a bottle shop out in the Qld gemfields between Sapphire and Rubyvale that is also on the Tropic of Capricorn. I think they experience a similar phenomenon. Beer on shelves on the southern side, beer in fridges on the northern side to compensate for the climate. :lol: :lol:
earle

Postby speedie » Thursday Sep 02, 2010 4:36 pm

post a serious question and get a positive answer
have any of you never heard of moisture take up
the brewer dude that i talked with in vietnam had to install an airconditioner in the container to stop grain soilage!
as bum said read a book?
speedie

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Sep 02, 2010 4:42 pm

I haven't seen any evidence of moisture spoilage. Some of the grain is more than 12 months old.

Winter is cold and wet, summer is hot and bone dry so not ideal weather for mould growth.

Inside the brewing fridge is another matter entirely!
drsmurto

Postby earle » Thursday Sep 02, 2010 4:47 pm

speedie wrote:post a serious question and get a positive answer
have any of you never heard of moisture take up
the brewer dude that i talked with in vietnam had to install an airconditioner in the container to stop grain soilage!
as bum said read a book?

Far out Speedie, lighten up. You got a serious answer from Doc and within Hirn's response was a proper answer. Just a bit of humour mixed in. :roll:
earle

Postby speedie » Thursday Sep 02, 2010 10:19 pm

you are still takin the piss at my expense or to your pleasure either way
you are all! still of the money
where did you guys study
brew fridge what sort of comment is that from an estuite brewer!
spell check and punctuate if you will
is this a brew site or some sort of pussy english course
speedie

Postby hirns » Thursday Sep 02, 2010 11:49 pm

speedie wrote:you are still takin the piss at my expense or to your pleasure either way
where did you guys study

And here I was thinking that it was going to be a quiet night with everyone having gone off to Thirstday night with Speedy!

Sorry mods: Speedy let's us/wee / I just begin with a rebutllefish to start with the fact that your posts arn't usually on topic, yet you now accuse others otters of not addressing your questions directly and at times not immediately after you have posted. Hang on a tic whilst I open multiply windoos to address the multiple persoonalityies of I/we/them as this is about the time that you feel the need to respond to every thread off T day. NOO 1 tis forcing you to piss here, if you don't lick the nurture of this foruim then tee r other plaCES TO POST! or better still donttt. One dey the tottil rest of us of us on this forrum will reach nivarnnna and bee on the honey like just like u and will have fluless beir(nearly spilt that wright by mistake!) Dang!!! Know !@!! III no this is knot some english pussy(though had some good uns) course tis juz make it ezzeir if we speek ostrayla without ticking the pissza out of France> eated tthrice and tonned dun simtwatr.

Chers :shock:

Hirns

W
hirns

Postby Bum » Friday Sep 03, 2010 6:43 am

hirns wrote:
speedie wrote:you are still takin the piss at my expense or to your pleasure either way
where did you guys study

And here I was thinking that it was going to be a quiet night with everyone having gone off to Thirstday night with Speedy!

Sorry mods: Speedy let's us/wee / I just begin with a rebutllefish to start with the fact that your posts arn't usually on topic, yet you now accuse others otters of not addressing your questions directly and at times not immediately after you have posted. Hang on a tic whilst I open multiply windoos to address the multiple persoonalityies of I/we/them as this is about the time that you feel the need to respond to every thread off T day. NOO 1 tis forcing you to piss here, if you don't lick the nurture of this foruim then tee r other plaCES TO POST! or better still donttt. One dey the tottil rest of us of us on this forrum will reach nivarnnna and bee on the honey like just like u and will have fluless beir(nearly spilt that wright by mistake!) Dang!!! Know !@!! III no this is knot some english pussy(though had some good uns) course tis juz make it ezzeir if we speek ostrayla without ticking the pissza out of France> eated tthrice and tonned dun simtwatr.

Chers :shock:

Hirns

W

I can't believe it wasn't me who snapped first.
Bum

Postby chadjaja » Friday Sep 03, 2010 8:24 am

I just wish there was an ignore function :wink:
chadjaja

Postby rotten » Friday Sep 03, 2010 8:35 am

I tried that, mine must be broken :lol:
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby chadjaja » Friday Sep 03, 2010 8:38 am

Ahh just saw I can. :D

For the record I store my grain here in Melb the same way the Dr does and have no problem whatsoever with grain moisture, pests or bugs.
chadjaja

Postby earle » Friday Sep 03, 2010 8:39 am

I just wish there was an ignore function

Friends and Foes
What are my Friends and Foes lists?
You can use these lists to organise other members of the board. Members added to your friends list will be listed within your User Control Panel for quick access to see their online status and to send them private messages. Subject to template support, posts from these users may also be highlighted. If you add a user to your foes list, any posts they make will be hidden by default.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How can I add / remove users to my Friends or Foes list?
You can add users to your list in two ways. Within each user’s profile, there is a link to add them to either your Friend or Foe list. Alternatively, from your User Control Panel, you can directly add users by entering their member name. You may also remove users from your list using the same page.
earle

Postby Planner » Friday Sep 03, 2010 9:49 am

Bum wrote:I can't believe it wasn't me who snapped first.

You wern't even second to snap Bum, the pills must be working :D
Nothing interesting to see here, move along.
Planner

Postby matr » Friday Sep 03, 2010 9:53 am

Haha I think a couple of people got sand in their vaginas last night!! & I know who put it there.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Love your work guys.. :wink:
matr

Postby warra48 » Friday Sep 03, 2010 10:47 am

I store mine in plastic bags or in their original sacks, inside containers the same as DrS.
We certainly get plenty of humidity here, and I've never noticed my grains picking up moisture. Some of my less used specialty grains are 2 to 3 years old, and they taste fine when I weigh them for milling.

I did have a minor episode with vermin earlier this year, with a small bag of grain I left out from one of the containers. However, a couple of good doses of rat poison tossed into next door behind his shed fixed that problem. The rats went the same way he next door did last December (no I didn't do it, honestly, constable). I worked out where they must have been living, as I was sure they weren't on my property.
warra48

Postby SuperBroo » Friday Sep 03, 2010 11:06 am

warra wrote:The rats went the same way he next door did last December

hells bells warra, remind me not to upset you :shock:
Last edited by SuperBroo on Friday Sep 03, 2010 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
SuperBroo

Postby matr » Friday Sep 03, 2010 11:07 am

Grog wrote:
matr wrote:The rats went the same way he next door did last December

hells bells warra, remind me not to upset you :shock:

i didn't write that!! :?
matr

Next

Return to Grain brewing