Stirring the mash

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Re: Stirring the mash

Postby speedie » Friday Sep 10, 2010 9:16 pm

This may be off topic but I don’t see the sense in a single vessel brew system
If you can afford to buy one urn for your hobby why not buy two
It may seem not critical at present but I am sure that if you stay in AG brewing for some time you will be more interested in your results
All the books that have been written are from years of some ones experience
And most outline extract efficiency
speedie

Postby Bum » Friday Sep 10, 2010 9:28 pm

BIAB beers are winning comps all over the country. You don't know what you are talking about.
Bum

Postby hirns » Friday Sep 10, 2010 9:55 pm

speedie wrote:This may be off topic but I don’t see the sense in a single vessel brew system
If you can afford to buy one urn for your hobby why not buy two
It may seem not critical at present but I am sure that if you stay in AG brewing for some time you will be more interested in your results
All the books that have been written are from years of some ones experience
And most outline extract efficiency

+ 1 to Bum

Speedie, you need to firsty comprehend Fully what this unconventional process is all about before posting comment. Members have already given you links that you appear to have not read before posting. BIAB is a unique process of homebrewing that is certainly outside of normal conventions, albeit with results that are often beyond traditional methods and in a reduced time frame
Hirns 8) .
hirns

Postby speedie » Friday Sep 10, 2010 10:25 pm

Removed, gibberish.
Last edited by gregb on Saturday Sep 11, 2010 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Utter crap.
speedie

Postby Bum » Friday Sep 10, 2010 10:30 pm

I assure you, speedie, a great many people have taken your position in the past and they've all been silenced. Look into it if you're still incredulous but there's no point putting your hands on your hips and chucking a tanty. The process is here and it isn't going anywhere and it works.

If it helps you accept it a little more the bag allows brewers to use a much finer crush, helping efficiency.
Bum

Postby squirt in the turns » Friday Sep 10, 2010 10:45 pm

speedie wrote:Removed, gibberish.

[rant]
Basically, yes, speedie. There are many innovators out there "reinventing the wheel" and sharing their findings via the wonder of the intertubes. In the case of BIAB, this enables Joe/Jane Average home brewer to make beer from grain with a just a few additions to his/her system and mininal expense. 2 urns is several hundred dollars! BIAB can be done with some voile fabric and a $20 stockpot from Big W - us meagre "standard" 19-23L batch brewers can do a concentrated partial boil in said pot, before we progress to the lofty heights of 400L batches. You're obviously a mad keen brewer and money is no object when it comes to your hobby, but that isn't the case for everyone, and as has been pointed out, BIAB can give fantastic results, There are many different ways to achieve results of equal quality.

If I was brewing in a garage with beams I could suspend a grain bag from, I'd probably be doing BIAB instead of the more traditional 3 (ish) vessel system I've got now, which just ended up making more sense for my circumstances. It certainly doesn't make me somehow more elite than BIAB brewer.
[/rant]
squirt in the turns

Postby Bum » Friday Sep 10, 2010 11:00 pm

squirt in the turns wrote:the more traditional 3 (ish) vessel system I've got now, which just ended up making more sense for my circumstances. It certainly doesn't make me somehow more elite than BIAB brewer.
[/rant]

Unless you have a march pump...
Bum

Postby bullfrog » Saturday Sep 11, 2010 1:48 am

speedie wrote:Removed, gibberish.

And this is why nobody likes you. You talk assuredly about things that you know nothing about. Please shut the hell up about things that you know nothing about. I'm sure that people would love to hear about what YOU do in YOUR own brewing processes, but of things you have no experience with, do remain silent. I won't even suffix that last sentence with "lest you look like a fool," because you're clearly not worried by that.
bullfrog

Previous

Return to Grain brewing