esky brewing

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Re: esky brewing

Postby billybushcook » Monday Sep 13, 2010 6:02 pm

Bum wrote:Agreed but (because I just can't help myself) we must acknowledge that there are certain "constants" that some may view as "rules" which cannot be ignored.

Totally,
Like many things we adapt to suite our selves, the main & important principles must be adhered to & applied in what ever manner suites our current equipment.
mick
billybushcook

Postby speedie » Monday Sep 13, 2010 9:58 pm

it does seem that that there are some passionate brewers here
not wanting to do the same brew again seems unusual
the test is to yourself to see if you and your equipment came repeat to the same degree of quality and numbers
and if you go back to some of my earlier posts i stated that beer should be fun and Spontaneous
ps dont support any AFL sides have been backing the losing wallabies though!
speedie

Postby Bum » Monday Sep 13, 2010 10:18 pm

speedie wrote:not wanting to do the same brew again seems unusual

Perhaps but we don't all have the same motivations.

speedie wrote:the test is to yourself to see if you and your equipment came repeat to the same degree of quality and numbers

You might have gathered this already but I see the numbers as a tool rather than the result. I only care about the numbers as far as I have to. I think it is a better test of my understanding and gear set up if I can consistently brew good beers without ever having brewed a particular beer before - but I must stress that this is NOT my motivation, just responding to the point raised. Sure, consistently punching out a beer the same over time is a valuable skill but I'm not interested in drinking the same beer over and over. There's just too much to brew!

I just want to make it clear that I will revisit certain beers given enough time, I am certain - but they'll all get small or large tweaks and never one after another.
Bum

Postby bullfrog » Monday Sep 13, 2010 10:28 pm

I'm in the same boat as Bum. Whilst I do have a penchant for brewing APAs and stouts, I never brew the same batch time after time and am always brewing different beers. Partly this is because I like drinking different beers and partly because I like experimenting and fiddling with new ingredients. I've never made two APAs the same and I've only ever repeated a hop schedule once.
bullfrog

Postby rotten » Monday Sep 13, 2010 10:39 pm

Since moving away from goop and sugar I have never brewed the same twice. There is just too much to learn and experiment with. Like a kid in a lolly shop trying everything. I'm sure that eventually I will try to replicate a brew which is why I take good notes, Not yet though. Will drink the docs AG golden ale in a month or so, maybe that will be the first? Or TL AG SNPA which is in the fermentor now? Or maybe my own creation?
Watch this space :lol:
Cheers
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby earle » Tuesday Sep 14, 2010 11:16 am

Also in the same boat here. I have a couple of recipes that are rebrewed every so often but there are also so many fantastic styles of beer to try to brew. The biggest problem seems to be that my 'to brew' list seems to get longer and longer.
earle

Postby BribieG » Saturday Oct 16, 2010 11:11 am

Use your eskys for picnics. As you already have an urn then just get a BIAB bag and make some great beers with minimal stuffing around. I get about 1 degree an hour drop in mash by simply lagging the urn with a ski jacket and a doonah. Walk away for an hour or two and have a beer.
BribieG

Postby Bum » Saturday Oct 16, 2010 10:56 pm

BribieG wrote:I get about 1 degree an hour drop in mash by simply lagging the urn with a ski jacket and a doonah.

Seriously? No picture? :lol:
Bum

Previous

Return to Grain brewing