Double Batch this weekend

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Double Batch this weekend

Postby rotten » Tuesday Oct 12, 2010 10:15 pm

Gday all.
I have planned a double batch for this weekend and are just chasing some clarity on the process. I have done searches etc and none of these quite answer what I'm after.
I will ferment in two fermentors, 20 ltr in each.
I will do do two seperate full boils, with same volumes, I have a 30 ltr urn.
My mash tun is 60 ltr and will hold all ingredients, mash in, mash out requirements.
I have hit all targets, volumes, temp etc with first 4 AG brews.

Question 1. I can not get my mash drain into the one container, and then there is sparge after that. Could I drain the same amounts into two seperate containers, and likewise with the sparge?
Question 2. Will I stuff my normal 75% efficiency (adjusted to 70% for double) by stopping the drain and sparge to do the above. (Don't care about if efficiency is right or wrong, it is my efficiency)
Question 3. Could i just ensure that SG's are the same in both containers?
Question 4. My Hop schedule & IBU are calculated @ full volume, is it reasonable to assume half hop schedule in each boil will equal the IBU I'm after? should I allow for hop utilisation losses? (is there such a thing)
Question 5. Will my mash in temp change more than what program has suggested ie, more grain-water may mean greater temp loss?

Lots of questions I know, any help appreciated. You may make brewday easier.
Cheers
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Re: Double Batch this weekend

Postby chadjaja » Wednesday Oct 13, 2010 6:42 am

rotten wrote:Gday all.
I have planned a double batch for this weekend and are just chasing some clarity on the process. I have done searches etc and none of these quite answer what I'm after.
I will ferment in two fermentors, 20 ltr in each.
I will do do two seperate full boils, with same volumes, I have a 30 ltr urn.
My mash tun is 60 ltr and will hold all ingredients, mash in, mash out requirements.
I have hit all targets, volumes, temp etc with first 4 AG brews.

Question 1. I can not get my mash drain into the one container, and then there is sparge after that. Could I drain the same amounts into two seperate containers, and likewise with the sparge? Your first runnings will of course be higher gravity. All the wort collected needs to be mixed so you get a stable and consistent SG in both boils
Question 2. Will I stuff my normal 75% efficiency (adjusted to 70% for double) by stopping the drain and sparge to do the above. (Don't care about if efficiency is right or wrong, it is my efficiency) Shouldn't effect efficiency but yeah I usually lose a few % I have to adjust for with bigger batches or grain bills.
Question 3. Could i just ensure that SG's are the same in both containers? Have you got two spare cubes to hold two lots of pre boil wort?
Question 4. My Hop schedule & IBU are calculated @ full volume, is it reasonable to assume half hop schedule in each boil will equal the IBU I'm after? should I allow for hop utilisation losses? (is there such a thing) Yup half the hops for each boil. I started off doing full batches but half boils due to pot size and beers turned out fine.
Question 5. Will my mash in temp change more than what program has suggested ie, more grain-water may mean greater temp loss? You will find it easier to maintain mash temp if anything. Larger mashes seem easier to handle.

Lots of questions I know, any help appreciated. You may make brewday easier.
Cheers

I'd look into doing a concentrated boil where your hop amounts are up a bit and you dilute the wort post boil to bring up to volume you want. Beeersmith with adjust the hop amounts for you based on your final top up amount. Only problem is with just a 30L kettle the top up amount will be well over 10L's with your evaporation rate. I've done this but with a 40L urn and 10L top up at flame out and its worked well. Much less time as its one boil, one cool and less transfer and off SG readings.
chadjaja

Postby rotten » Wednesday Oct 13, 2010 6:50 am

I thought of a concentrated boil, would be too much top up water with a 30 ltr urn though as you said. Don't mind doing two boils.
Cheers
rotten

Postby Tipsy » Wednesday Oct 13, 2010 9:15 pm

Partigyle?
Tipsy

Postby matr » Thursday Oct 14, 2010 10:11 am

Tipsy wrote:Partigyle?

I've seen this term a few times now and wondered what it meant. So googled it and found this http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue2.2/mosher.html

It's really interesting about the Belgians.. 8)

As they say.. the day you stop learning is the day you die!!
matr

Postby rotten » Thursday Oct 14, 2010 4:25 pm

Have you done one of these Tipsy? were they drinkable?
Cheers
rotten

Postby Tipsy » Thursday Oct 14, 2010 8:02 pm

rotten wrote:

Have you done one of these Tipsy? were they drinkable?
Cheers

No I haven't as yet, my mash tun is pretty small and I wouldn't want to go to all that work doing two boils for the same amount of beer.

I bought a 60lt Techni ice cooler a couple of years ago with good intentions but laziness got the better of me :oops:

I do think (with no proof whatsoever) that they would be very drinkable. I would probably use a simple grain bill though.
Tipsy

Postby rotten » Friday Oct 15, 2010 6:14 am

Alright so here is what I will do. Going to simply drain and sparge into cube and fermentor. Clean out mashtun and pour all wort back into mashtun, it's 50 ltrs so it will all fit. Stir gently to get SG even, then pour off to kettle as required for the boil. I should get two pretty even SG readings pre-boils without splitting hairs.
I may try that Partigyle one day but I need to do more research, it would need a high gravity mash and this double batch is a mid.
Cheers
rotten

Postby drsmurto » Sunday Oct 17, 2010 10:41 am

I've done a few partigyles, usually big IPAs (or IIPAs) followed by a quaffing pale/amber ale.

Here are a few links i have used to do the calculations - Link, Link
drsmurto

Postby rotten » Sunday Oct 17, 2010 7:13 pm

drsmurto wrote:I've done a few partigyles, usually big IPAs (or IIPAs) followed by a quaffing pale/amber ale.

Here are a few links i have used to do the calculations - Link, Link

Thanks drsmurto.
Great reading there, I will download speadsheets next week. I like the sound of it.
Cheers
rotten

Postby rotten » Wednesday Oct 20, 2010 9:11 pm

Alright so I brewed the double batch on (after) the weekend, but I never did post the recipe. Here it is along with what I did.

Lawnmower Beer V1
4.75 kg Pilsener
1.25 kg Wheat
0.35 kg Munich 1
0.25 kg Chocolate
Mash @ 70c
10 g Magnum @ 60 min 15%AA
10 g Simcoe @ 45 min 12.6%AA
10 g Northern Brewer @ 30 min 9.6%AA
10 g Amarillo @ 15 min 8.6%AA

40 ltr - 2 X 20 ltr batches
US-05 yeast for one
S-04 yeast for other
25 ish IBU (Magnum was higher % than in recipe designer)
12 SRM
predicted OG 1038
actual OG 1040

Story - grain bill didn't arrive till monday, straight after work I started HLT. Mash went to schedule, added extra 2 c to strike water to hit target. Stuck sparge, DOH. Had to raise manifold slightly to drain, took a bit longer but it didn't hurt efficiency (how I don't know). Drain and sparge went into 3 sepearte containers, cleaned mash tun and put wort into mashtun, stirred, seperated into 25 ltr boils with same OG.
Didn't start first boil until after 7 pm, takes an hour just to get to boil.
Long story short, cooled brews in sink then fridge, pitched yeast around lunch tuesday. I spent more time brewing on Monday than I did at work, but it will be worth it. I hit or exceeded targets, Fantastic, will do it again. Only 2 more hrs for extra 21 ltrs of AG liquid Gold.
Cheers
rotten

Postby speedie » Wednesday Oct 20, 2010 10:06 pm

rotten it wont be long and you will pip me on brew lenght
cheers speedie :wink:
oh the brews are gettin bigger
speedie

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Oct 21, 2010 10:05 am

Speedie

Do you have competitions with your mates where you are flop out the old fellow and take measurements?

You don't seem capable of going more than a few posts without mentioning the size of your (brew) length.

I scaled my last batch up and brewed a massive 25L instead of 20L. Made me feel like more of a man so maybe you are onto something Speedie :roll:

Cheers
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Postby warra48 » Thursday Oct 21, 2010 2:39 pm

When I was a boy, growing up in Holland, we used to have competitions who could Pee the furthest in the snow. Used to leave a lovely yellow line.
I think I've outgrown that, and found a better use for the equipment, even after 35 years of marriage.
Maybe Speedie is missing out on that, so has to compensate in other ways? :mrgreen: :evil: :twisted: :lol:
warra48

Postby earle » Thursday Oct 21, 2010 3:40 pm

earle

Postby squirt in the turns » Thursday Oct 21, 2010 3:59 pm

Mmmm, Rogue Yellow Snow IPA.
squirt in the turns

Postby earle » Thursday Oct 21, 2010 4:04 pm

earle

Postby squirt in the turns » Thursday Oct 21, 2010 4:10 pm

That's the stuff. Delicious.

When my girlfriend and I first shared a bottle of that, she uttered the almighty compliment "hmm, tastes a bit like your homebrew", presumably detecting some, er, hops, like the ones I put in my pale ales!
squirt in the turns

Postby rotten » Thursday Oct 21, 2010 8:09 pm

Main reason for a few double batches is I'm about to work 12+ hrs a day, 7 days a week basically until end of March. Simply going to run out of time/energy to do AG eventually, I may even revert back to Kit & Bits for a bit. :o
No pissing contest from my end I can assure you.
rotten

Postby speedie » Thursday Oct 21, 2010 11:37 pm

Rotten these good old girls have taken my complement to your approach of double batching as thoe it is double bitching
I don’t give a flying phuck how big or small the wiener is as it is always big enough to fill a pram
Just enjoy what you do with your time
And at 63 don’t you eat that yellow snow (was it that long since you posted)
:mrgreen:
speedie

Next

Return to Grain brewing