Grain mills.

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Re: Grain mills.

Postby Bum » Sunday Dec 19, 2010 12:15 pm

Yeah, I've got one of them too and while it is the only mill I've ever used I reckon it is the duck's.
Bum

Postby drsmurto » Sunday Dec 19, 2010 4:39 pm

BribieG wrote:I'm buying an already modded Marga from a fellow club member here. Currently I don't have an electric drill - when I was round at a brewday last year the guy's cordless drill was getting a good smoke-on so he went out to the ute and returned with a big orange drill from hell (corded) that chewed through the grain bill quickly.
What would be a reasonable Bunnings type drill to use with a Marga? Don't feel like paying hundreds just for a drill which wouldn't see much other use.

I use a Dick Smith branded cordless hammer drill. No idea how much it cost or it's quality but it easily handles the job, no smoke etc.

When i first got the marga i used the handle. Took 20-30 minutes for ~5kg of grain. Found it reasonably therapeutic the first few times but then brewed a double batch and decided that 45 mins winding it was a waste of my time so went out and bought a 10mm spade drill bit and never looked back.
drsmurto

Postby Bum » Sunday Dec 19, 2010 5:54 pm

Whoa. I've always wondered how much difference the bigger rollers on my JSP really made but I punched out an 11kg grainbill at 1kg/min by hand so I'm guessing there is a real benefit.
Bum

Postby roboscot » Sunday Dec 19, 2010 7:55 pm

BribieG wrote:I'm buying an already modded Marga from a fellow club member here. Currently I don't have an electric drill - when I was round at a brewday last year the guy's cordless drill was getting a good smoke-on so he went out to the ute and returned with a big orange drill from hell (corded) that chewed through the grain bill quickly.
What would be a reasonable Bunnings type drill to use with a Marga? Don't feel like paying hundreds just for a drill which wouldn't see much other use.

Go to the local CashConverter or stolen goo pawn shop. They've usually got a selection of power tools.
roboscot

Postby BribieG » Monday Dec 20, 2010 12:48 am

roboscot wrote:Go to the local CashConverter or stolen goo pawn shop. They've usually got a selection of power tools.

Bloody good idea, probably the first thing that the girlfriend pawns for her new tatts or peircings when Dazza / Wozza / Chazza's back's turned :twisted:
BribieG

Previous

Return to Grain brewing