AG/BIAB - Gas or electric?

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Re: Is BIAB a valid technique?

Postby SuperBroo » Saturday Oct 16, 2010 12:06 pm

I've been thinking about the gas vs electric thing too, perhaps a separate thread would be a good discussion point.

cheers,
Chris
SuperBroo

Postby bullfrog » Saturday Oct 16, 2010 12:29 pm

Meh, couldn't be arsed making a new thread for it so if Greg thinks it warrants its own space then I'm sure he can split this thread.

I use an electric urn and it's terrific. The other benefit, besides the cost issue that Bribie mentioned, is that most new urns have controls that will allow you to set the wort temp to the degree. It's a wonderful feature for getting to strike temp. Just set to your target temp and walk away for half an hour, or however long, and not have to worry about overshooting your temp.

Oh, really glad to see that Bribie has joined us. I've learned a lot from him on another site, so it's great that he's joined us here, too! :)
bullfrog

Postby matr » Saturday Oct 16, 2010 1:08 pm

BribieG wrote:If you haven't got your keg and burner for the keggle yet and are looking at doing 'standard' 21 - 25 L brews then consider an electric urn. Turnkey solution right out of the box. I hear reports that the gas guys spend up to $6 gas per brew, and with the 150 brews I have done in the urns(s) so far just the savings on power come to over $800 which could have bought me three urns :shock:

:D

Hey BribieG,

Have the keg with top cut out and spigot welded in.

Just waiting on the SS elements to come into stock at CB. Ross says next tuesday so I'll be placing an order.
Also got an STC-1000 coming, just need to sort out an alternate probe or cheap thermowell option.
Thinking of making my own bag but using SS mesh (like termimesh), If I don't I'll probably just buy one from Gryphon as they look pretty good.

It's all coming together albeit slowly... :D

& welcome to the forum. I always take time to read your posts on the other site. You'll be a good addition.. :D
matr

Postby BribieG » Sunday Oct 17, 2010 10:47 am

Thanks for the kind welcome, guys.

matr seeing as you are going electric with the keggle, sounds like you've got best of both worlds seeing as you'll be able to do big batches. :wink:
BribieG

Postby wrighty » Sunday Oct 17, 2010 12:51 pm

Think ill convert my keggle over from gas ,would be lucky to get 3 brews with 9kg bottle.
At $26.00 per exchange is expensive. Crappy 4 ring burner probably doesnt help.
Well done Matr brew sounds a winner . Welcome BribieG.
Im not an alchoholic i dont go to the meetings !
wrighty

Postby matr » Sunday Oct 17, 2010 12:58 pm

BribieG wrote:
matr seeing as you are going electric with the keggle, sounds like you've got best of both worlds seeing as you'll be able to do big batches. :wink:

Only problem is the element is 2200W so I don't think it will maintain a boil for a large batch.

See how I go may have chuck another in if I do go for big batches. To start I'll be aiming for 20 - 21L into the fermenter

Cheers, Mat.
matr

Postby bullfrog » Sunday Oct 17, 2010 2:48 pm

If that's the case, Matr, then it's not too difficult to slap together an immersion element to help you along.
bullfrog

Postby billybushcook » Sunday Oct 17, 2010 4:03 pm

wrighty wrote:Think ill convert my keggle over from gas ,would be lucky to get 3 brews with 9kg bottle.
BribieG.

your Burner must be very in-efficient.

I use mine for heating strike water, sparge water & do the full boil in a keg over a Cast Iron, two ring burner & I get heaps of brews out of a 9Kg, it even runs the Barby in between brew days.
I also have a 4.5kg bottle for back up & even it will do about 4 - 6 beers.

Cheers, Mick.
Home brew my Arse, get that Shit to forensics!
billybushcook

Postby BribieG » Sunday Oct 17, 2010 6:40 pm

matr seeing as you are going to the trouble of drilling & cutting and fitting the element you could do two at the same time, dollars permitting, but run each off a different circuit in the house. I run two urns and when I do a double brew I just run an extension lead from the kitchen out to the garage for #2 and don't get problems. I spent a few dollars on a powerboard with a switch so I can turn #2 on and off without having to run up the corridor to the kitchen all the time :D :D
BribieG

AG/BIAB - Gas or electric?

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Dec 15, 2010 4:46 pm

Split off from viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10068

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Return to Grain brewing