HELP! Am I over sparging? Sollutions?

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Re: HELP! Am I over sparging? Sollutions?

Postby speedie » Friday Apr 22, 2011 2:10 pm

28.8x13.25/4.95=76%
this is a good figure
but i still find it hard to fathom this if you are leaving 1016 in the grain bed after rinsing
by the way please dont try to belittle
as i am sure a man of your stature would be above that
speedster
speedie

Postby bullfrog » Friday Apr 22, 2011 2:15 pm

I think that Warra was hardly being belittling, more exasperated.

I personally would have gone with a much less civil quote than one from the bible, like "Mama said knock you out" - LL Cool J.
bullfrog

Postby speedie » Friday Apr 22, 2011 2:18 pm

greg these are the posts you should be vetting
speedie

Postby bullfrog » Friday Apr 22, 2011 2:25 pm

Speedie clearly doesn't like late 1980's rap music.
bullfrog

Postby Tipsy » Friday Apr 22, 2011 2:41 pm

We may have to see if we can get Speedies AHB ban overturned :)
Tipsy

Postby warra48 » Friday Apr 22, 2011 4:18 pm

speedie wrote:28.8x13.25/4.95=76%
this is a good figure
but i still find it hard to fathom this if you are leaving 1016 in the grain bed after rinsing
speedster

I don't know, nor do you, if I leave SG 1.016 in the grain bed after sparging. I've never measured it, nor do I ever leave much volume in the grain bed. It's totally drained as far as practical, particularly as I sparge rather slowly. It can take me 1½ hours to do my batch sparging. I don't do high speed run offs. Thus my grain bed drains very well. I'd be surprised if I leave more than about ¼ litre, apart from what's absorbed by the grain itself. I'd be even more surprised if what I leave behind is SG 1.016.
And, don't forget, even with fly or continuous sparging, the grain retains liquid, so we never totally extract all the sugars from the grain.

Having said all that, if you now acknowledge my extraction of 76% on your calculation is a "good figure", you must also surely acknowledge that batch sparging is a valid alternative method of running off a mash?

As to your accusation of "belittling", I don't accept I am. I think I have been one of the most civilised in my responses to your posts, on this forum, and the other one.
Also, be aware I worked as a Claims Manager doing legal work on major personal injury claims, so I am very used to well structured logical argument progression and evaluation of evidence. That's all I am trying to do here, difficult as it may be on occasion.
warra48

Postby gregb » Friday Apr 22, 2011 4:34 pm

So the question as originally posted, has been put down to probable oxidisation possibly at the filtering stage.

The debate as to relative merits of batch v. fly sparging can be simply summed up as follows:
- There is more than one way to skin a cat.
- Even no sparge is a valid sparge method.
- This is homebrew; we don't have shareholders and finance departments breathing down our necks to extract every last point. Efficiency a bit low? Another cup of pale malt will fix your OG issue.
- This is homebrew; someone else's methods differ to yours, so be it and refer to above point about skinning cats.
gregb

Postby hirns » Monday Apr 25, 2011 12:22 pm

Well thanks for the replys and entertainment! As I never filter the bottles it appears most likely to be a filtering oxidation issue. Doc I do purge my kegs with Co2 and the lines first. I tried to filter a gassed beer once before and the head that formed in the second keg meant that I had to spilt it between two kegs. Any tips on how to prevent this foaming whilst filtering gassed beer?

Once again thanks for the replys.

Hirns
hirns

Postby speedie » Monday Apr 25, 2011 4:14 pm

do not carbonate the beer prior to filtration
hey i am still making beer
speedster
speedie

Postby hirns » Monday Apr 25, 2011 7:54 pm

So how does this fix the oxidisation issue?
hirns

Postby speedie » Monday Apr 25, 2011 8:39 pm

hirns simple do not give your brews a chance for the introduction of atmosphere
persoally i think that you already brew a good batch of sudes
what else cn i express
also dont be over critical of yoour brewing
someone said if it walks like a duck it must be
if you and i where drinking your beer now it wouldnt be a duck
we have one day left to brew
speedie
speedie

Postby bullfrog » Monday Apr 25, 2011 9:12 pm

You haven't added anything to the thread, Speedie. He has an issue that he seems quite certain is due to oxidisation and he'd like to fix it. All you've said is "don't carbonate before filtering...[but] don't allow atmosphere into your brew" then capped it all off with "don't fix your problem, that's just being unnecessarily critical of yourself, best to just stick with using a process that makes beer you're unhappy with."

I paraphrase, of course, but can you at all see how you're wasting everybody's time with your thoughtlessly inane dribble?
bullfrog

Postby speedie » Monday Apr 25, 2011 9:21 pm

i will repeat this DONT let atmosphere enter
speedie

Postby bullfrog » Monday Apr 25, 2011 9:30 pm

And he's asking for advice on how to do that. Advice on which you're yet to offer. All you're doing is repeating the absolute basics of brewing that we all learned on our first kit brews in a manner that would suggest you're some kind of great authority on all things beer. Here's a hint, that's not helpful, champ. Not getting anyone anywhere with that.
bullfrog

Postby speedie » Monday Apr 25, 2011 9:35 pm

you still havent read the label
just add water and blend

do you see where this is going greg dumb v dumber
speedie

Postby bullfrog » Monday Apr 25, 2011 9:46 pm

And you're still clearly yet to have read the thread that you're trying to post advice in and don't understand half of what's been posted so far. FFS, how about we add a basic IQ and literacy test to the site's captcha to avoid letting people through like Speedie, who have the intelligence quotient of your average potato?

Honestly Speedie, have you ever suffered a massive trauma to the head? I'm starting to picture you as a survivor from an awful traffic collision that has left you with only half a head, the rest having to be amputated so they could at least save that one quarter of your brain that was unaffected.
bullfrog

Postby speedie » Monday Apr 25, 2011 9:54 pm

please help him hirns!
speedie

Postby bullfrog » Monday Apr 25, 2011 10:00 pm

You seem to now think that it's me that's having the oxidisation problems and, because I said the word 'kit' earlier in reference to the way most people get into brewing, that I'm having troubles comprehending kit instructions. Do you only read on word out of each post, Speedie?
bullfrog

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Apr 27, 2011 10:30 pm

hirns wrote:Well thanks for the replys and entertainment! As I never filter the bottles it appears most likely to be a filtering oxidation issue. Doc I do purge my kegs with Co2 and the lines first. I tried to filter a gassed beer once before and the head that formed in the second keg meant that I had to spilt it between two kegs. Any tips on how to prevent this foaming whilst filtering gassed beer?

Once again thanks for the replys.

Hirns

You will get some foaming when filtering carbonated beer as the turbulence created during the filtering process will knock some CO2 out of solution.

I find that nice and slow as well as making sure the filter is full. I achieve this by holding my finger down on the relief valve on the filter until it is full. Then let it go and the keg starts to fill. Will require a touch more gas to get it back to the desired carbonation but no issues with oxidation.
drsmurto

Postby barls » Wednesday Apr 27, 2011 10:45 pm

could you get away with using a closed loop system to avoid the foaming. ie filter between liquid posts. and then a line with 2 gas disconnects on it between the two kegs to ballance the pressure and reduce the foaming.
you could even add a T piece and check valve with the check valve stopping extra pressure being added to the secondary keg but allowing you to add more pressure to the primary keg and the secondary kegs still being able to flow the excess pressure created by the displacing liquid back to the primary.
does this make sense or should i just go back and pour another beer.
barls

PreviousNext

Return to Grain brewing