evolution

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

evolution

Postby tommo » Saturday Jul 02, 2005 3:56 pm

It's probable that I'm forcing Darwin's theory but...... :roll:

Having had success (imho) with Hops, SAF Yeasts, Varied Additives, Temps, CC etc I feel the time is nigh to take another baby step. :shock:

Need input on Partial / Mini Mash.

1. Are they the same thing :?: :?: :?

2. Is above used in conjunction with extract only or is kit ok :?: :?: :?
( excuse ignorance please. )

3. What additional gear, tools, temps, attitude, intelligence do i require :?:

4. If I'm on the right track can one of the higher lifeforms suggest a good 'ole recipe to kick start my evolution. ( lager :D )

4b. Please don't suggest a serch as life's too short to f*@! about. :wink:

cheers
tommo
tommo

Postby gregb » Saturday Jul 02, 2005 4:50 pm

gregb

Postby Merlin » Monday Jul 04, 2005 1:56 pm

Tommo,

1) No, a mini-mash is a small all-grain brew. A partial mash is extract-based

2) Using kits is fine with partial mashes, but using extracts will give you more control over the end result

3) You'll need something to mash in (I just use a stainless saucepan and keep the lid on, holds its temperature pretty well), something to sparge or strain with and into (I use a ordinary kitchen colander, strain into a fermenter, then pour back into the boiler using an ordinary kitchen strainer to catch any bits that got through the colander). Re. attitude and intelligence, a well-trained monkey could do it. Don't try using one though, I got lazy once and tried it. He did an OK job but it tasted a bit funny :lol: :lol:

4) Never brewed a lager so with respect for 4b, you'll have to farm that one out for someone else.

Cheers

Merlin
Merlin

Postby db » Monday Jul 04, 2005 3:10 pm

Tommo,

1. a partial will contain both extract & grain - a mini mash

2. either can be used.

3. i would suggest getting/building a mash tun. i've tried many different methods with grain bags in pots, grain bags in eskys.. & grains in eskys (without manifolds, false bottoms or taps etc) & it is a big hassle.. a mash tun is much easier.. & effective

i suggest you check out http://www.bmbrews.com.au/index.php/info/partial.html

if you can find esky's with a tap you might want to think about getting one & making your own manifold.. i tried insulating the bucket (couldn't find an esky with a tap) & buying a plastic false bottom, it works but was a bit of a hassle finding the foam etc.. & the plastic false bottom is abit of a pain

Dogger also has explained his method in a post on here somewhere.. but i cant recall what post it was on. you may have to do a search for it :wink:
db

Postby tommo » Tuesday Jul 05, 2005 4:17 pm

thanks fellas,

got a much clearer pic now :D :D

tommo
tommo

Return to Grain brewing