Unusual sediment at the end of the fermentation

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Unusual sediment at the end of the fermentation

Postby ianmcc » Sunday Oct 12, 2014 6:56 pm

Hi,

Something a bit different today when I transferred my brew from the fermenter into the keg. Big gelatinous blobs of what I hope is yeast. Completely different to every other brew I've done in the past, where its been a fairly uniform consistency slightly grainy sediment. I'm wondering if something has gone wrong (or right?). The fermentation went well, and I chilled it to 3.5 degrees before transferring it. Probably the clearest looking brew out of the fermenter I've ever had. This was the first time I used a rubbermaid mash tun rather than BIAB, that is about the only difference I can think of.

The image isn't working. Try http://physics.uq.edu.au/download/ianmc ... 184438.jpg
ianmcc

Re: Unusual sediment at the end of the fermentation

Postby ianmcc » Sunday Oct 12, 2014 7:28 pm

Update: final gravity is 1.003 for an alcohol content of 5.1%. That is probably the lowest final gravity I've ever had.

This was the second batch of a recipe based on drsmito's Landlord ale clone (I used WGV instead of goldings and some crystal malt because that is what I happened to have in the cupboard. Aside from that it matches the recipe at viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7982&start=260#p113263). The first batch had a final gravity of 1.010. Between the two batches, I bought a rubbermaid mash tun. I also used O2 to oxygenate the wort, for the first time. (I think I never understood the idea of wort aeration before...). I used a yeast starter based on a recipe I found on these forums (probably also from drsmuto?), splitting it and keeping 1/4 built into another starter for the second batch.
ianmcc

Re: Unusual sediment at the end of the fermentation

Postby rwh » Tuesday May 19, 2015 10:49 am

My guess is that that is either break material or clumped yeast. Some strains of yeast will do that; you should see what some of the saison yeasts do... they look much like that but the clumps float on the surface of the beer!
w00t!
rwh

Return to Grain brewing