the chillzilla has landed

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Postby db » Wednesday Oct 05, 2005 12:53 pm

Lebowski wrote:
Dogger Dan wrote:Not to be insulting but because it is hot.

Dogger

But why use a cooler rather than just dumping it straight onto cold water in the fermenter? Do you do something extra with the wort once it is cooled?

Lebowski, some say that aeration of the hot wort, caused by the dumping, can cause what is known as hot side aeration.. which some claim will oxidise your finished product.
also cooling the wort to pitching temp is not so much of an issue if your only boiling a few litres but when your doing partials (my boil is generally around 13litres) & all grain (23litres) a wort chiller comes in very handy

EDIT - which is pretty much what Tony just said :wink:
db

Postby Lebowski » Wednesday Oct 05, 2005 12:56 pm

Ah I see now, I didnt realise all grain brewers where boiling the whole 23 or so litres.

How do most people get their hot kit wort from the pot into the fermenter without dumping it in?
Lebowski

Postby db » Wednesday Oct 05, 2005 1:12 pm

Lebowski wrote:Ah I see now, I didnt realise all grain brewers where boiling the whole 23 or so litres.

How do most people get their hot kit wort from the pot into the fermenter without dumping it in?

most just dump it. the whole issue of hsa is very debated.. i have heard of some people adding a pinch of sodium met. to the mash (or boil i guess if your using a kit) to stop it from occuring
db

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday Oct 06, 2005 2:23 am

DB

Works a treat, no issues at all.

With regards to that hot side aeration when adding hot wort, I have never seen it and I slosh like no tomorrow. Additionally I add the cold water to the hot water and splash away (Sometimes you need a quick and dirty brew so I revert to a kit).

Mind you, if you don't want to slosh you need to figure out another way to aerate the water or else you will stick the fermentation.
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby gregb » Saturday Oct 15, 2005 6:43 am

ps now we wait for gregc to sign up

This mornings newest registered user - Kiwi_greg.

Can this fella slot in as Gregk - we're just 23 away from alphabetical domination.

BTW - welcome aboard, Kiwi_greg.

Cheers,
Greg.
gregb

Postby undercover1 » Monday Oct 17, 2005 11:30 am

Grab, have you christened your new toy yet?
I have to get off my behind soon and put a chiller together- thinking a standard coil immersion job, but I see you can get the fittings for these, maybe have to consider/price a counterflow instead.
Salut!
undercover1

Postby grabman » Monday Oct 17, 2005 2:21 pm

UC1

Haven't run a brew through it yet, I'm snowed under with school and uni work! Bummer

I have tried a test run though just chilling boiling water from brew pot etc, that worked a treat. I'm looking at building a dedicated brew bench on wheels so I can easily move the setup near to water source etc. Have all the framework, just need time and ideas!

Grab
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Previous

Return to Grain brewing