Keeping the mash at a certain temp.

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Keeping the mash at a certain temp.

Postby mark68 » Wednesday Mar 01, 2006 1:21 pm

After seeing a few photographs of people mashing in a plastic esky,how do you control the temp. as there is no heat source apart from boiling a pan full of water and adding this to the mash?It would seem that a variation in temp. of 20 degrees or more over the period of the mash doesn't ruin the brew.Is this correct?
mark68

Postby gregb » Wednesday Mar 01, 2006 6:52 pm

Pre heat the esky, it usually holds close enough.

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Postby General » Wednesday Mar 01, 2006 9:07 pm

Greg,

I am also interested in this, so are you saying heat the esky with boiling water? or some other heat source?
Jeffro

All I need is a cold beer, a kind word, and unquestioned world domination.
General

Postby munkey » Wednesday Mar 01, 2006 9:46 pm

i have a temp controlled mashing pot and dont use the coolbox type, but i do occasonaly use an infusion method to better control the temps, bacicaly i use the Decoction mashing technique to acheve tempriture additions, this is bacicaly just removing some of the mash and boiling it then adding it back, there is a specific science to calculating the amount needed to be drawn off and heated to acheve your temp adjustment. (there are programes and guids that tell you how).
8) englend victorious "ashes 2005" 8)
munkey

Postby gregb » Thursday Mar 02, 2006 3:36 am

General,

Spot on, hot water into the esky to warm it up, same as you do when you pre heat a thermos flask.

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Postby Bruiser » Thursday Mar 02, 2006 12:12 pm

Mark 68, you should only experience a loss in temperature of a degree or two, not 20 degrees. That's why people use esky's as mash tuns; they're designed to not lose the cool temperature from the ice to keep your beer cold. Put hot wort into it and the insulation keeps most of the heat in.
Bruiser

Postby wee stu » Thursday Mar 02, 2006 1:48 pm

Bruiser is right, especially in a full mash brew there is a lot of thermal mass in the grain itself. If you have an esky which loses 20 degrees over the duration of a mash, go and get another esky.

I use a 35l cylindrical Keep Cold brand esky, and with a 60 minute mash and around 5kg of grain, I tend to lose a degree only over the mash period.
"I think I had wan too many"

C & C Reid
wee stu

Postby yardglass » Thursday Mar 09, 2006 9:48 pm

same, the mash temp drops 1*C over 60 min.
excuse me... your karma just ran over my dogma.

GOOD BREWS
yardglass

Return to Grain brewing