"bucket in a bucket" system.

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

"bucket in a bucket" system.

Postby ryan » Friday Oct 06, 2006 1:07 pm

Does anyone use the "bucket in a bucket" system as a lauter tun when partial mashing? If so, what size are the strainer holes drilled to?
Thanks. :wink:
ryan

Postby Duane » Friday Oct 06, 2006 1:41 pm

Ryan, I used to use the bucket in bucket system but found it had too much dead space in the bottom,4lt. To get around this I cut the bottom off the bucket that sits in the other bucket and forced it down to the bottom to make a false bottom.
Now only have 1lt of dead space which I fill with boiling water to pre heat MT. The size of the holes from memory are 1.5mm ( and about a million of them) :roll:
I still use this system for AG and am getting 65% eff.
Duane

Postby ryan » Friday Oct 06, 2006 1:52 pm

Thanks Duane. Would you say there is a big difference to the end result using that method compared to mashing the grain, and putting it through a strainer and cheesecloth? Not big mashes, no more than 2.5 kg. of grain per brew.
Thanks
ryan

Postby Duane » Friday Oct 06, 2006 2:02 pm

Ryan, not much difference except the clarity of your wort. oh and if using a strainer and cheesecloth becareful, grain and liquor will be very hot. I have a plastic picnic tap in the bottom of my bucket, so no need to strain.
Just recirculate a few litres and crystal clear wort
Duane

Postby ryan » Friday Oct 06, 2006 2:07 pm

ok.
Thanks again :D
ryan

Return to Grain brewing