Cracked Grain Storage

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Cracked Grain Storage

Postby SpillsMostOfIt » Thursday Jan 25, 2007 8:21 am

I'm about to have a shot at all-grain brewing using the Brew In A Bag technique, so I need to purchase some grain. Whilst I enjoy the trip to Grain and Grape, I don't want to be there every week to pick up freshly cracked grains. I cannot afford a crusher at the moment.

So, how long can I store cracked grains until they degrade significantly? Does that change if I freeze them, submerge them in inert gas or fluff them each morning?
No Mash Tun. No Chill.

No confirmed fatalities.
SpillsMostOfIt

Postby Cortez The Killer » Thursday Jan 25, 2007 8:52 am

From what I've read a week is ok but they must be kept cool - preferably in a fridge

I bit the bullet and bought a marga mill - with the simple mod and cardboard hopper is was worth

A tin / SS hopper is being built for me

I will probably crush the grains the night before brew day

Cheers
He came dancing across the water.
Cortez, Cortez. What a killer!
Cortez The Killer

Postby Aussie Claret » Thursday Jan 25, 2007 8:55 am

Spillsmostofit,

Yet another plug for chraftbrewer, If you order your grain from them they seal all the grain in a vacuum air tight plastic bag which will keep for quite while. I wouldn't leave it months on end but I'm sure a few weeks to a month wouldn't be a problem at all.

AC
There's nothing wrong with having nothing to say - unless you insist on saying it. (Anonymous)
Aussie Claret

Postby Ross » Thursday Jan 25, 2007 2:57 pm

Aussie Claret wrote:Spillsmostofit,

Yet another plug for chraftbrewer, If you order your grain from them they seal all the grain in a vacuum air tight plastic bag which will keep for quite while. I wouldn't leave it months on end but I'm sure a few weeks to a month wouldn't be a problem at all.

AC

Thanks for the plug AC :)

Actually our vacuum sealed grain packs can be kept comfortably for 12 months if necessary. Just keep out of direct sunlight & heat - A cupboard is fine.
We can deliver up to 6.5kg of cracked grains almost anywhere for just $9.90. If you are more local (Tweed heads - Gympie) we can deliver 25kg for just $7.00

Cheers Ross
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au
Hops, Grain, Yeast & Brewing Supplies
Ross

Postby SpillsMostOfIt » Friday Jan 26, 2007 11:15 am

I like what I see of the CraftBrewer outfit.

The vacuum sealed plastic enclosure option is good until you open it, which is fine if that's how you work. My approach to things is generally more chaotic and not to be recommended to friends.

Interestingly, if you buy 6.5kg of Ross' cheapest grain and have it shipped to Australia's most livable city, it is more expensive than wandering down to G&G. But, if you want to buy some of the more expensive, specialty grains, it is significantly cheaper to have it shipped from Queensland.
No Mash Tun. No Chill.

No confirmed fatalities.
SpillsMostOfIt

Postby OldBugman » Friday Jan 26, 2007 11:20 am

When did grain and grape open in Sydney??!?
OldBugman

Postby Ross » Friday Jan 26, 2007 11:32 am

SpillsMostOfIt wrote:I like what I see of the CraftBrewer outfit.

Interestingly, if you buy 6.5kg of Ross' cheapest grain and have it shipped to Australia's most livable city, it is more expensive than wandering down to G&G. But, if you want to buy some of the more expensive, specialty grains, it is significantly cheaper to have it shipped from Queensland.

That's partly because all the grain gets sent here from Melbourne in the first place. The freight componant is more significant on the cheaper base malt, but obviously less of an influence on the more expensive grains.

cheers Ross
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au
Hops, Grain, Yeast & Brewing Supplies
Ross

Postby SpillsMostOfIt » Friday Jan 26, 2007 11:48 am

Ross wrote:
SpillsMostOfIt wrote:I like what I see of the CraftBrewer outfit.

That's partly because all the grain gets sent here from Melbourne in the first place. The freight componant is more significant on the cheaper base malt, but obviously less of an influence on the more expensive grains.

cheers Ross

So, when are you going to move your operation down here? :lol:
No Mash Tun. No Chill.

No confirmed fatalities.
SpillsMostOfIt

Postby lethaldog » Friday Jan 26, 2007 2:57 pm

Dogger reckons he keeps cracked grains well past 6 months i think he said, it was deffinately more than a few weeks cos he gets 25kg bags crushed when he buys them so dont panic to much :lol: :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby SpillsMostOfIt » Friday Jan 26, 2007 3:55 pm

Now, *that* is closer to what I want to hear... :wink:

If I can buy a month's brewing supplies in one hit, I could spend less time suffering for my art and more time suffering from it and perhaps save a little coin. :D
No Mash Tun. No Chill.

No confirmed fatalities.
SpillsMostOfIt

Return to Grain brewing