pasta maker as mill

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Re: pasta maker as mill

Postby Ross » Saturday Aug 09, 2008 10:17 pm

The marga is a geared 3 roller mill. They are a fabulous little mill; even when people upgrade after years of use you rarely see one up for sale, as there's always someone who wants to take it off your hands.

cheers Ross
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au
Hops, Grain, Yeast & Brewing Supplies
Ross

Postby Kevnlis » Sunday Aug 10, 2008 9:43 am

Boonie wrote:Anyone have a picture of the inside of their Marga?...........Please :D ie Twin Rollers etc

Thanks and cheers

Boonie

Have a read:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/i ... =marga+gap
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby rwh » Sunday Aug 10, 2008 5:59 pm

Boonie wrote:I have heard that too Chris but I was after something basically automated. I understand the Marga still is manual but I am going to attach my variable speed drill to it once I make a "connector" where the handle goes.

I've done this myself. What you do is go buy a dynabolt and stick this in where the crank goes. The dynabolt widens as it tightens, making a good mechaical fit, but it can still be removed afterwards by turning it the other way.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work all that well. The reason being that the drill (at least my one) is really variable torque, not variable speed. The resistance in the mill varies depending on how much/what kind of grain is currently being drawn into the rollers so you have to be there constantly changing the speed of the drill to get it to crush at a reasonable speed. I'm not sure if all drills are like this because I know other people have done it successfully using theirs. :? I've been thinking about other options. The garage door opener motor or similar seems like it could be a good option.

Boonie wrote:Anyone have a picture of the inside of their Marga?...........Please :D ie Twin Rollers etc

I can take some if you like. What do you need? It's a three roller mill, so the grain gets drawn in through a wide gap and then crushed in a second gap. Have a look at this AHB thread [login reqd to see the photos] for info on modifications you will want to make. I drilled a series of holes so that I could adjust the crush gap, and left the adjustment nuts alone, but otherwise pretty much followed these instructions.
w00t!
rwh

Previous

Return to Grain brewing