Sparging?

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Re: Sparging?

Postby Kevnlis » Thursday Feb 07, 2008 7:49 pm

I use a similar setup to Ed except that I use a sprinkler fitting from Bunnings on the end of my sparge hose to distribute the water more evenly and not disturb the grain bed. Once I modify my braid a bit I should be able to regularly achieve 80% efficiency! ;)
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby James L » Friday Feb 08, 2008 9:13 am

Ed,

that looks like a nice and simple setup, i didnt even think about being able to start the boil before sparging has finished so thanks for that.

It looks like you use an immesion heater to heat your sparge water. Do you temp control it? or do you just have it on a timer (i can see a timer on the wall in the pic). Also, the cheap pot you bought, did you end up drilling and welding a fitting on to it, or did you use a fitting similar to the type you use to create a fitting in your mash tun (the threaded fitting with the seal that you can remove if necessary).

I made a few inquries, and theres a mob in bayswater who can sell an immesion heater (2400W) for 75 bucks which isnt too bad. I thought that could be handy to get a removable one incase i wanted to use it to warm up the mash. The only thing i'm worried about is that it doesnt turn off if the water level gets too low so i need to monitor it so it doesnt burn out or turn it off before i start the sparge.

where did you end up getting that fitting for hte sparge pot? and where abouts in vic park is Kong Trading?

and Kev, i like the idea about the sprinkler connector to evenly spread the water over the grain bed. Do you think this will be as effective for a rectangular esky? might have to make a custom.
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby drsmurto » Friday Feb 08, 2008 10:09 am

Ed - is that sparge 'arm' something you rigged up yourself? It looks very useful particularly as at the moment i have an urn in almost the same position as your HLT but i normally just open the tap. Since this disturbs the grain bed i let it sit for 10-15 mins and then sparge. Do this twice normally as i reckon batch sparging can be improved this way.

Kev - a sprinkler head ey? Pity i am DIY phobic. Might be the next job for partners old man.
drsmurto

Postby James L » Friday Feb 08, 2008 10:17 am

I suppose sprinklers are what the big guns use in the commercial breweries.... i saw something that could be used to evenly spread the water through the grain bed that ross has at craft brewer. its that connecter that you add to the end of the transfer tube to aerate the wort going into the fermenter. could be a goer.. least you know that its food grade.. might be a little expensive than a sprinlker fitting, but we are dealing with hot water, and that black poly pipe tends to give off flavours in the higher temps. You could always get a brass sprinkler.. that would solve the prob.
James L

Postby Kevnlis » Friday Feb 08, 2008 11:23 am

I will be at Bunnings later this arvo I think. I will get a part number/namer whatever I can get if it helps.

Doc, I know you are afraid to do handy stuff, but this really is so easy my 4 years old could do it, no joke...
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby drsmurto » Friday Feb 08, 2008 11:26 am

I'm too scared to watch that 5th grader show so i reckon your 4 yo is probably leagues ahead of me in the DIY department.

A quick step by step with piccies would help........ :lol:
drsmurto

Postby SpillsMostOfIt » Friday Feb 08, 2008 3:42 pm

A small group of us are planning to play with a Big Brew in the next month or so. I've purchased a 135litre plastic storer which we will use as a mashtun for the event and two or three kettles for boiling and another two or three for sparge water. We're aiming for 150litres or so.

We intend fly sparging by putting a dinner plate on the mash-bed and directing the sparge water onto it. The surface of the water will always be an inch or so above the surface of the grain until we decide to stop.

no arm done
No Mash Tun. No Chill.

No confirmed fatalities.
SpillsMostOfIt

Postby Ed » Friday Feb 08, 2008 10:31 pm

James L wrote:It looks like you use an immesion heater to heat your sparge water. Do you temp control it? or do you just have it on a timer (i can see a timer on the wall in the pic). Also, the cheap pot you bought, did you end up drilling and welding a fitting on to it, or did you use a fitting similar to the type you use to create a fitting in your mash tun (the threaded fitting with the seal that you can remove if necessary).

I made a few inquries, and theres a mob in bayswater who can sell an immesion heater (2400W) for 75 bucks which isnt too bad. I thought that could be handy to get a removable one incase i wanted to use it to warm up the mash. The only thing i'm worried about is that it doesnt turn off if the water level gets too low so i need to monitor it so it doesnt burn out or turn it off before i start the sparge.

where did you end up getting that fitting for hte sparge pot? and where abouts in vic park is Kong Trading?

and Kev, i like the idea about the sprinkler connector to evenly spread the water over the grain bed. Do you think this will be as effective for a rectangular esky? might have to make a custom.

Yep, it's an immersion heater on a timer. The water is at temp by the time I get out of bed :). It's not temp controlled and I make sure to turn it off when I have to.

$75 is cheap for the element, I think I paid $95 when I bought mine. Bring the sparge water to 85C and turn off the heater, it should maintain a reasonable temp (or at least that's what I find).

The fitting is just a brass elbow I found. Think I've seen them in Bunnings. Kong Trading is on Albany Hwy near the Park centre in East Vic Park. They are a bit of a nightmare on the phone, you have to go in there to make any sense of anything :)

I actually want the top end of the grain bed turning over with the sparge water, it's perfectly fine and desirable as long as you have the depth in the bed and you don't disturb the bottom layers.

Are you anywhere near Kelmscott? If so, you are most welcome to have a close look at my set-up.

Closer pic below might help answer a couple of questions.

Cheers, Ed

So the bartender says to the horse "Why the long face?"
Ed

Postby Ed » Friday Feb 08, 2008 10:37 pm

drsmurto wrote:Ed - is that sparge 'arm' something you rigged up yourself? It looks very useful particularly as at the moment i have an urn in almost the same position as your HLT but i normally just open the tap. Since this disturbs the grain bed i let it sit for 10-15 mins and then sparge. Do this twice normally as i reckon batch sparging can be improved this way.

Kev - a sprinkler head ey? Pity i am DIY phobic. Might be the next job for partners old man.

Yeah and it's just that cheap black retic stuff. Works a treat. Might replace with copper one day? maybe. I've drilled holes at angles pointing down at the grain bed so that the water gets evenly distributed.

Cheers, Ed
Ed

Postby munkee » Sunday Feb 10, 2008 8:49 pm

fly vs batch

agree, do batch. no difference to final results.

imho.

:P
Always alwasy.. do a serch.
munkee

Postby Kevnlis » Sunday Feb 10, 2008 9:10 pm

munkee wrote:fly vs batch

agree, do batch. no difference to final results.

imho.

:P

no difference? surely you jest?
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby James L » Monday Feb 11, 2008 9:43 am

Ed,

I'm in Hamersley (hammeredsley), which isnt too far from kelmscott. When i get my hands on my AG equipment and start the ball rolling, i might take you up on that offer.

Cheers

James
James L

Postby Trough Lolly » Monday Feb 11, 2008 10:28 am

G'day Ed - nice pics. How do you go with chanelling in the mash? I suppose it's not a problem as long as your flow rate keeps a layer of sparge water over the grains? I have a 10 Gallon mashtun and at mashout, I add the entire sparge volume to the mashtun and drain in one go. It's fine until the water drops below the top of the grainbed and the mash then looks like a 5th day wicket at the MCG!!

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Ed » Monday Feb 11, 2008 11:49 am

Whenever you're ready James. All grain brewing and the equipment needed isn't overly complicated, and it becomes very clear if you can view it first hand.

TL, yes I have had chanelling before and it was due to quite heavy compaction (made worse by a decoction mash). Solved it by drilling the underside of the sparge arm at angles pointing down at the grain bed. Seems to keep the top layer of grain turning over and floating more freely so that there's no heavy settling. At best I can only have a couple of inches water over the bed as my tun is massively smaller than yours, makes for a very thick mash and some careful handling :lol:

Cheers, Ed
Ed

Postby Trough Lolly » Monday Feb 11, 2008 12:43 pm

Agreed....happiness is a floating mash. :D

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby SpillsMostOfIt » Wednesday Feb 13, 2008 8:19 pm

Trough Lolly wrote:Agreed....happiness is a floating mash. :D

Cheers,
TL

No... Happiness comes in a bag (BIAB, that is)! :lol:
No Mash Tun. No Chill.

No confirmed fatalities.
SpillsMostOfIt

Postby Trough Lolly » Thursday Feb 14, 2008 11:57 am

.....I've never been a big fan of BIAB - I can see the utility for those who are space / budget poor but it's not for me.

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Previous

Return to Grain brewing