Small Grain Brews

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Small Grain Brews

Postby gazpachos0up » Thursday Mar 27, 2008 8:43 pm

Hey yall, I wanna start getting into grain brewing, I was thinking would it be easier to start small and only make like a 5 litre brew? If so has anyone done this before? I have a 5L demijohn to brew in, just curious how much grain would you use for a brew this size and is there like certain quantities you'd use per litre, I was thinking of trying a pilsner to begin with,
gazpachos0up

Re: Small Grain Brews

Postby Kevnlis » Thursday Mar 27, 2008 8:53 pm

Honestly it is just as much work to do a full batch as it is to do a small batch. I suggest you do the biggest batch size you are capable of ;)

I would certainly not do a Pilsner first up, definitely one of the hardest beers to brew!

Have a read through this forum, lots of great info!
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby SpillsMostOfIt » Thursday Mar 27, 2008 9:08 pm

I'm a big fan of the small brew, but that is because I like brewing. I make big batches to keep my liver at its peak and smaller brews for the sheer delight of brewing small batches. However, life is too short to brew lagers. :lol:
No Mash Tun. No Chill.

No confirmed fatalities.
SpillsMostOfIt

Postby gazpachos0up » Friday Mar 28, 2008 7:21 am

Kevnlis wrote:Honestly it is just as much work to do a full batch as it is to do a small batch. I suggest you do the biggest batch size you are capable of ;)

I would certainly not do a Pilsner first up, definitely one of the hardest beers to brew!

Have a read through this forum, lots of great info!

What would you reccommend as a first?
gazpachos0up

Postby Kevnlis » Friday Mar 28, 2008 8:37 am

I would do a Belgian Wit or Pale Ale if it were my first AG brew, these beers turn out pretty good as long as you do not completely stuff it up. They are both also best enjoyed fresh and I am sure you do not want to wait any longer than you have to, to enjoy the fruits of your labour! ;)
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby gazpachos0up » Saturday Mar 29, 2008 9:08 am

Kevnlis wrote:I would do a Belgian Wit or Pale Ale if it were my first AG brew, these beers turn out pretty good as long as you do not completely stuff it up. They are both also best enjoyed fresh and I am sure you do not want to wait any longer than you have to, to enjoy the fruits of your labour! ;)

Also the reason I want to start with a small brew is that i don't have the equipment set up for a 23 AG, I have a good 10L pot for brewing and two polystyrene cladded vessels to do the grain in, I figured it'd be easier to try it smaller at first before i spend all the money on a complete set up. I will one day, but I have two 5L demijohns too so I wanted to do some small experiment brews before i go all the way. Plus I could just clear two Kgs of grain through clean pantyhose than have to set up a brewing esky straight up.
gazpachos0up

Postby rwh » Monday Mar 31, 2008 9:39 am

gazpachos0up wrote:If so has anyone done this before?

I haven't, but a fair few ppl do half brews.
gazpachos0up wrote:I have a 5L demijohn to brew in, just curious how much grain would you use for a brew this size and is there like certain quantities you'd use per litre, I was thinking of trying a pilsner to begin with,

Doing a brew like this would be purely proportional. So if you start with a 23L recipe that calls for 5kg grain, you'd just do 5/23*100 = 21%, which is 1kg grain.
w00t!
rwh

Postby Trough Lolly » Tuesday Apr 01, 2008 1:20 pm

....or just make a large lager starter and hop it! :twisted:

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Return to Grain brewing