my pots not big enough!

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

my pots not big enough!

Postby bangers » Wednesday May 07, 2008 5:42 am

I was looking at an ag recipe for a german pilsner, reading away I discovered that I needed to sparg with 20ltrs of water!
o.k. my boiling pot only holds 18ltrs (I'm a big lad but not big enough to haul 20ltrs up n down for half an hour thats why we have pumps) any way can I sparg with say 1o to 15 ltrs ,boil and add hops to this amount then make up final amount with chilled boiled water? if not do I just avoid these recipes until I get a bigger boiler (thats about 80% of ag recipes)
bangers

Re: my pots not big enough!

Postby warra48 » Wednesday May 07, 2008 7:09 am

Don't take all those volume figures as gospel.
They depend very much on your own system, and whether you batch or fly sparge.

I batch sparge, and I use a 25 litre esky. Usually I have a water/grain ratio of 2.3 litres per kilo of grain. Once the mash is over, I top up my mashtun with 90ºC mash out water to almost the top. I stir it thoroughly, and then vorlaüf and drain. I have a measure in my kettle, so I can see how much I've drained. I calculate the difference between what I've drained and what my boil target is. I now know the final volume of water to add for my final sparge.
I again thoroughly stir, vorlaüf and drain.

I get mash efficiency in the high 80 percentile.

I have a 19 litre pot to heat my mash, mashout, and sparge water. No problem. As well as that, I borrow the kitchen kettle if I need some boiling water to correct my strike temperature.
warra48

Postby Kevnlis » Wednesday May 07, 2008 7:39 am

Bangers, run off the entire amount of required wort into a large container (doesn't have to be sanitary as the wort is going to be boiled), then split the boil in half and use half as much hops in each boil at the recommended times, combine after cooling and ferment as usual.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby warra48 » Wednesday May 07, 2008 8:28 am

Sorry, I went off on a tangent. Misread the original post.
Yeah, what Kevnlis said is right.
warra48

Postby Kevnlis » Wednesday May 07, 2008 9:44 am

warra48 wrote:Sorry, I went off on a tangent. Misread the original post.
Yeah, what Kevnlis said is right.

Don't worry warra, I nearly misread it the same way. I think your post was helpful to him none the less! ;)
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby bangers » Wednesday May 07, 2008 6:13 pm

thanks again everyone there is always a simple solution to a problem! ya just gotta ask the questions :lol:
bangers

Return to Grain brewing