Floor Malted Grains

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Re: Floor Malted Grains

Postby James L » Wednesday Oct 08, 2008 11:58 am

come one guys.... stop comparing each others sacks (of grain)....

Now, on topic, looks like there will be no floor malted grain coming to perth in the near future... I will just have to make do with the everyday run of the mill variety...
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby Ross » Wednesday Oct 08, 2008 8:18 pm

drsmurto wrote:Hi TL

Thats the same bag i have. I have been told that it isnt floor malted. Maybe Ross can confirm this?

Cheers
DrSmurto

Hi,

Can confirm it is not floor malted - Bairds do not make floor malted malts.
We have genuine floor malted MO GP & halcyon from Fawcetts in stock.

cheers Ross
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au
Hops, Grain, Yeast & Brewing Supplies
Ross

Postby tazman67 » Thursday Oct 09, 2008 4:39 pm

Thanks Ross for the clarification...Back to brewing.
I brew the beer I drink
tazman67

Postby Trough Lolly » Monday Oct 13, 2008 7:27 am

Ross wrote:
drsmurto wrote:Hi TL

Thats the same bag i have. I have been told that it isnt floor malted. Maybe Ross can confirm this?

Cheers
DrSmurto

Hi,

Can confirm it is not floor malted - Bairds do not make floor malted malts.
We have genuine floor malted MO GP & halcyon from Fawcetts in stock.

cheers Ross

Well there you go - thanks Ross. I thought all MO labelled UK malt was floor malted. Thos. Fawcett malts are excellent - their pale choc malt is very nice.
Several years ago I bought a bag of Bairds malt labelled "Stout Malt" - to this day I'm not sure what difference it is to their ale malt??? Ever seen it? Very pale, almost pils like and quite a clean flavour profile but it did have a dextrinous quality to make it a good base malt for dark ales and stouts...

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby warra48 » Tuesday May 04, 2010 8:56 am

Even though I started this thread some time ago, I've to date never used floor malted grains.

However, I picked up a bag of Thomas Fawcett floor malted Maris Otter yesterday, for just over $70 for 25 kg.

I've used TF's Maris Otter before, but not the floor malted variety. I'm looking forward to using it.

During discussions with my supplier (Marks Homebrew in Islington in Newcastle NSW) it seems that to get the best from this old fashioned malt you need to mash for at least 90 minutes up to 120 minutes, and to do a two hour boil (top up the water volume if there is too much evaporation).
My past experience with Maris Otter was that if I only mashed for 60 minutes, I would drop about 10% in my efficiency, and it wasn't until I started 90 minute mash times that it came back up.

I think I feel some new brews coming on, an IPA, ESB, Best Bitter, and more Milds. For me, a 25 kg bag is enough for 6 to 7 brews, allowing for other base and specialty malts. I do love my Brit ales.
Last edited by warra48 on Tuesday May 04, 2010 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
warra48

Postby Finnagann » Tuesday May 04, 2010 9:16 am

Let us know how it goes for ya. I'd be curious to hear the difference.
Finnagann

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday May 04, 2010 10:41 am

I've never noticed a difference between any of the base malts when it comes to efficiency.

Love TF FM MO. Easily my favourite ale malt. Ever since i started using it i have dropped the munich additions from my pommy beers.

I do 90 min mash, 90 min boil as a standard (for all recipes regardless of base malt or style) although my mash is probably a tad longer as after 90 mins i do a decoction mashout which takes ~10 mins.

Higher gravity (>1.065) and i might go a longer boil to make up for a drop in efficiency. The few 1.080+ beers i have made i have done 120 min mashes (@64C) to try and get as fermentable a wort as possible.

Looking forward to your thoughts on this malt Warra.

EDIT - $70 for a bag is a good price too. I paid $60 for a bag of JW trad late last year as the TF was $90.
drsmurto

Previous