Should I add Gypsum?

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Should I add Gypsum?

Postby Tipsy » Friday Jan 16, 2009 3:17 pm

Hi Guys,
I'm working on my first ever AG stout and looking over a few recipes they say to add gypsum.

Now I know the answer to water chemistry is usually "don't unless you know what sort of water you have", but I have a suspicion that my water is soft because I have been having a lot more success with the lighter coloured beers.

So do I give it a go, and if so how much would I use that would be a safe amount if I'm completely wrong?
Tipsy

Re: Should I add Gypsum?

Postby warra48 » Friday Jan 16, 2009 3:43 pm

Without knowing what your water make up is, you'd be flying blind.

Although you may not need it, you won't do any damage adding a teaspoon of chalk for a dark mash. It is useful for making darker beers in areas of soft water.

For the future, do what I did. I wrote to my local council, and asked for a water analysis on these items, in ppm or mg/l (they are the same). I offered to pay a fee, but got the information free.

Calcium
Magnesium
Bicarbonate
Sulfate
Sodium
Chloride
Alkalinity as CaCO³

Once you have these figures, you'll be able to use any of the water calculation tools or charts, and decide either which beers your water suits, or how to modify your water for what you want to brew.
warra48

Postby Tipsy » Friday Jan 16, 2009 11:25 pm

Thanks Warra,
I fly blind often, never drive though :shock:

I'm too lazy to get a water report (and will soon be on to rain water)

what I was probably really asking was would I get away with a small amount without stuffing my beer even if my water turned out to be hard
Tipsy

Postby Biernut » Saturday Jan 17, 2009 6:02 am

Tipsy......the short unscientific answer is yes, 5-10 grams of gypsym won't stuff your beer. I have rain water stored in Poly tanks which is rather benign, and use mineral additives to change the water profile in a beer that I am trying to emulate. this seems to have little effect on the pH which is around 5.8. I use beersmith to give me some idea of the water profile of the country/region that produces the beer style I am aiming for and adjust my tank water accordingly. IMHO I think this puts the icing on the cake when it comes down to taste particuarly with lagers. If you are going to drink your beer green then I don't think it really matters.

Cheers
Biernut

Postby Tipsy » Saturday Jan 17, 2009 5:24 pm

Thanks Biernut,

I'm going to give it a go.

Warra, chalk? is that just blackboard chalk :?: (always wanted to ask but didn't want to sound stoopid)
Tipsy

Postby Trough Lolly » Saturday Jan 17, 2009 8:08 pm

Tipsy wrote:Thanks Biernut,

I'm going to give it a go.

Warra, chalk? is that just blackboard chalk :?: (always wanted to ask but didn't want to sound stoopid)

Yep, Calcium Carbonate / Chalk is often used. 1 teaspoon in the mashtun is usually enough for a standard batch. We want the calcium to help improve extraction efficiency when we use a lot of dark grains in the recipe. Alternatively, you can source the calcium from Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate)...You can buy pouches of either from Grain and Grape or Craftbrewer...

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Tipsy » Sunday Jan 18, 2009 12:20 am

Thanks TL,
the kids are sleeping so it should be easy to steal some
Tipsy

Postby Trough Lolly » Sunday Jan 18, 2009 12:38 pm

If you have some clean white chalk handy, you must grind it down to a powder form before adding this somewhat insoluable stuff to the mashtun.

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Return to Grain brewing