Yeast farming Q

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Yeast farming Q

Postby Gym_ » Saturday Jan 31, 2009 11:14 pm

Well I’ve got my gum-boots on and my stock whip and I’m breeding up some nice yeast ..

Q is, how long ( if anyone would even know ) does it take for yeast to double in size.
So say you have a packet of liquid Wyeast yeast..

And your feeding it (LDME) and dividing it ..
Any one got any ideas how long at say 20c to 25c it would take for it to double its amount?

Wired Q i know ..
beauty is in the eye of the beerholder
Gym_

Re: Yeast farming Q

Postby Kevnlis » Sunday Feb 01, 2009 7:57 am

It is not just that simple. There are so many variables. The easiest way to get an idea (without expensive equipment) would be to use a haemeocytometer to count the live stained cells with a microscope.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby James L » Sunday Feb 01, 2009 10:59 am

Without expensive equipment?

Haemocytmometers are about 120 bucks and microscopes capable of 400x mag are at least 800 bucks, but you are right... its the only true way of getting an accurate indication of yeast numbers and viability.

Gym, remember that yeast are single celled organisms and reproduce by binary fission (splitting apart). so the cells only really need to reproduce once to double its number. But as Kev said, it is dependant on a number of factors including temp, pH, oxygen levels and yeast nutrition. If all these are good, it will take less time to increase the yeast numbers. It is said that by the end of a fermentation cycle, yeast numbers will increase to 5 times its original number. you might be able to calculate depending on your experience how long it will take your yeast will multiply depending on how long your fermentations times have gone for.
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby Gym_ » Sunday Feb 01, 2009 12:20 pm

Thanks James thats pritty much what it seems ..
By gestamation i think there dubbleing in size ever 24hrs
in 3 days ive gorn form 2 liters to 16 so that will do for the time beeing..
into the fridge thay go .. :mrgreen:
beauty is in the eye of the beerholder
Gym_

Return to Grain brewing